UPDATED: More roads close as storm sweeps into NW Minnesota
BEMIDJI -- U.S. Highway 2 from Crookston to the North Dakota has been closed as a blizzard hits the Red River Valley.
The storm also closed U.S. Highway 75 from the Canadian border south to the Norman County line by Perley. Highway 75 is also closed from Crookston south to Shelly.
Other roads closed are:
· Highway 200 from North Dakota to Ada
· Highway 220 from Climax to Highway 11
· Highway 1 from North Dakota to Thief River Falls
· Highway 11 from North Dakota to Karlstad or TH59
· Highway 175 from North Dakota to TH59
· Highway 171 from TH75 to North Dakota
Roads are closed due to reduced visibility, blowing and drifting snow, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Motorists should plan accordingly. When a road is closed it is illegal to travel in that area. Motorists can be fined up to $1,000 and/or sentenced to 90 days in jail. In addition, if travelers need to be rescued from a closed road, other expenses and penalties will apply.
For tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html.