Forecasters extend storm warning: Some areas could see up to a foot of snow
BEMIDJI -- With some areas possibly seeing a foot or more of new snow, a winter storm warning remains in effect until 1 p.m. Sunday, March 10.
Early Saturday, the National Weather Services extended the winter storm warning into Sunday. It was set to expire at 1 p.m. Saturday. The weather service said some areas could see up to a foot of snow. In the immediate Bemidji area, the forecast called for 3 to 5 inches of snow during the day Saturday, with another 5 to 8 inches possible Saturday evening.
Wind gusts were expected to pick up Saturday evening, as strong as 35 mph, dropping visibility on area roads. According to a report on the Minnesota Department of Transportation website, most of the roads in and around Bemidji were partially covered with snow on Saturday afternoon. Farther west, much of U.S. Highway 2 was listed as completely covered through to North Dakota.
Area counties in the winter storm warning include Beltrami, Clearwater, Hubbard, Pennington, Red Lake, Roseau and Lake of the Woods. In addition to Bemidji, other cities in the warning area include Red Lake, Redby, Bagley, Thief River Falls, Fosston, and Erskine.
Parts of Cass and Crow Wing counties also were in a winter storm warning, with that set to expire at 9 a.m. Sunday.
Saturday’s area storm warning comes as much of the Red River Valley is also dealing with another winter storm moving through, making travel throughout the area difficult. And farther south, the Twin Cities metro area also was listed in a winter storm warning on Saturday.
For the Bemidji area, there is a 20 percent chance of snow on Sunday, and rain is in the forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday.
Here’s a look at the Bemidji forecast from the weather service:
- Saturday night: Snow, mainly before 5 a.m. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 17. Northwest wind 5 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
- Sunday: A 20 percent chance of snow before 9 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 20. West northwest wind around 16 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- Sunday night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8. West northwest wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.
- Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 27. West northwest wind 6 to 8 mph.
- Monday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 12. South wind 6 to 9 mph.
- Tuesday: A 40 percent chance of rain after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 38. South wind 9 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- Tuesday night: Rain likely before 1 a.m., then a chance of sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 31. South wind 9 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent.
- Wednesday: A chance of sleet before 7 a.m., then rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 42. South southeast wind 7 to 9 mph becoming east northeast in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent.
- Wednesday night: Rain before 11 p.m., then rain and snow between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m., then snow after 2 a.m. Low around 31. North northeast wind 9 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent.