KORE scores in D.C.: Kelliher project earns national recognition
The new KORE Area in Kelliher has achieved more than just helping residents get healthier. The project, and its student organizers, were recently honored at the national level for the project, which built an outdoor exercise area in the community...
The new KORE Area in Kelliher has achieved more than just helping residents get healthier.
The project, and its student organizers, were recently honored at the national level for the project, which built an outdoor exercise area in the community.
Kelliher FCCLA (Family Career and Community Leaders of America) members Mitchell Nistler, Sierra Heck and Lindsey Duresky headed to Washington, D.C., in July, where they competed in the organization’s National Leadership Conference.
Just making it to the national level is an extraordinary accomplishment in itself, but these students didn’t stop there as they earned a gold rating in Chapter Service Display and achieved a perfect score of 100 percent on the KORE (Kelliher Outdoor Recreational Exercise) Area.
The KORE area was the Kelliher FCCLA’s year long project, as they did everything from planning the layout to organizing the funding for the new Kelliher landmark.
The trio were judged on the quality of their display, which included the FCCLA Planning Process, Addresses a Specific Need, Target Audience, Goals/Mission, Reflects FCCLA Purposes, Use of Family and Consumer Sciences Content and Skills, Project Scope, Project’s Organization, Cooperative Efforts/Partners, Work Plan, Timeline, Activities/Tasks and Roles, Budget, Increase Awareness Public Relations, Project Impact, Youth Involved and Volunteer Recruitment, Uniqueness and Evaluation.
The quality of the display was worth 70 percent of their score, while the remaining 30 percent was based on their 15-minute oral presentation on the year long project.
The students were the first Kelliher FCCLA members to ever earn a perfect rating at the national level, school officials said.
Also attending the National Leadership Conference were Cede Waldo and Jayce Mostad as Minnesota State Alternates in the Illustrated Talk, Jr. They participated as room consultants for STAR Events at the conference.
While at the conference in Washington, D.C., the group also learned more about leadership, attended workshops, toured the Smithsonian Museums, Mount Vernon along with other landmarks in the area.
FCCLA advisor Vicky Rabe said she wanted to recognize many people in the community for contributing to the success of the project and the students’ trip to Washington, including Independent School District 36 Kelliher Schools, Beltrami County CON CON, Upper Red Lake Area Association, Heim Log Homes, Beltrami Electric Co-op, Paul Bunyan Communications, Red Lake Tribal Council, the students and staff at Kelliher Public School, as well as all of the groups, businesses and individuals donating money and time to the building the KORE Area.