CROOKSTON, Minn. -- A man who died following a "medical emergency" in the Northwest Regional Corrections Center in November died of an overdose after swallowing a bag of methamphetamine, officials said.
Larry Dean Monson, 61, of Climax, Minn., was arrested at about 4 p.m. Nov. 13 on suspicion of driving while intoxicated. He was transported by Crookston Police Officer Ryan Brekken to the Northwest Regional Corrections Center. During the intake process, video footage shows him attempting to swallow what correctional officers described as a plastic baggie containing a brown substance.
An expedited ambulance was called, and, as it arrived, Monson began to show signs of overdose, according to investigative documents. Monson was pronounced dead by staff at Riverview Health at 6:10 p.m. Monson's body was taken to the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks for an autopsy. UND medical examiner Walter Kemp determined Monson died of an overdose and the manner of death was ruled accidental.
State and local investigations into Monson's death concluded earlier this month. A Minnesota Department of Corrections investigation found no wrongdoing on the part of the jail staff, and that "proper medical care was giving (sic) in a timely manner and staff were diligent in watching Mr. Monson at intake."