Arts of the Earth Festival underway at BSU
BEMIDJI--The second annual Arts of the Earth Festival kicked off Saturday at BSU. It will continue from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, April 27, in BSU's Hobson Memorial Union.
BEMIDJI-The second annual Arts of the Earth Festival kicked off Saturday at BSU. It will continue from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, April 27, in BSU's Hobson Memorial Union.
The Arts of the Earth Festival is a family friendly event to celebrate art, honor Mother Earth and inspire community, a press release said. Colorful art displays, workshops, live music, dancing and vendors are part of the event. The weekend will help celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the Sustainability Office, the 50-year anniversary of the Hobson Memorial Union and the 100-year anniversary of BSU, the release said.
The first 25 people in the door will receive a free large canvas tote bag made of recycled cotton. The tote bags are decorated by local children. Attendees will also have the chance to win a hammock or a solar phone charger.
Workshops on Sunday include:
• 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Bemidji Statement on 7th Generation Guardianship with Bob Shimek (Ozawindib Room)
• 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.-Planning and Packing for the BWCA with Bruce and Matt Johnson (Bridgeview Conference Room)
• 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.-Hydroponics and Indoor Gardening with Dan Swanson (North Conference Room)
• 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.-Homemade Lip Balm with Kristani Sheeley (Scandinavian Room)
• 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.-Raising Chickens with James Daker (South Conference Room)
• 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.-Aniin Enikamiguk (What's Going On) with Shirley Nordrum (Bridgeview Conference Room)
• 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.-Sacredness of Place with Corrie Santos (Ozawindib Room)
• 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.-Phenology with John Latimer (North Conference Room)
• 2 to 3 p.m.-Introduction to Citizen's Climate Lobby (North Conference Room)
• 2 to 4 p.m.-Poetry readings by local poets (Bridgeview Conference Room)
• 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.-Maple Syruping with Barry Babcock (Ozawindib Room)
• 2:30 to 4 p.m.-Voices from Nature with Antonio Arce (Scandinavian Room)
• 3 to 4 p.m.-My Climate Story with Citizen's Climate Lobby (North Conference Room)
• Documentaries will also be shown throughout the day:
• 10:30 a.m.-Lunch Love Community, Part two: Body
• 11 a.m.-Tapped
• 12:30 p.m. --Lunch Love Community, Part three: Mind
• 1 p.m.-Daughters of the Forest
• 2:30 p.m.-Awake, a Dream from Standing Rock