ELECTION: List of local, state and federal election candidates
BEMIDJI—Election filing for local elections ended Tuesday with all incumbents opting to run again and challenger candidates entering the race.
In the Bemidji mayoral race, Rita Albrecht is seeking a third term after winning elections in 2012 and 2014. Her opponent will be former Mayor Richard Lehmann, who held the position from 2000-2010.
Running for reelection on the City Council are:
• Michael Meehlhause, Ward 1, first elected in 2012.
• Ron Johnson, Ward 3, first elected in 2000.
• Nancy Erickson, Ward 5, served on council 2000-2008, elected again in 2012.
The only challenger for a City Council seat is Don Heinonen for Ward 5, a member of the Bemidji Jaycees and the city's Parks and Trails Commission.
For the Beltrami County Board of Commissioners, all three incumbents up for reelection have filed to run again. They include:
• Jim Lucachick, District 5, first elected in 2008.
• Joe Vene, District 2, first elected in 2004.
• Tim Sumner, District 4, first elected in 2012.
Challenging the incumbents for board positions are:
• Ralph Morris, a retired U.S. Army Medical Officer with experience in public health, is running for District 5.
• Reed Olson, member of the Bemidji City Council since 2013 and co-owner of the Wild Hare Bistro, is running for District 2.
• Vince Gross, a retiree from the Minnesota Department of Transportation, is running for District 4.
Bemidji voters and residents throughout the region will be deciding multiple races for the Minnesota Senate and House of Representatives this November. The candidates include:
• Incumbent Rep. John Persell, Democratic-Farmer-Labor-Bemidji, first elected in 2008.
• Local business owner Matt Bliss running for the Republican party.
• Incumbent Rep. Tom Anzelc, DFL-Balsam Township, first elected in 2006.
• Former Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board Commissioner Sandy Layman running as a Republican.
• Self employed auto repair and restoration technician Dennis Barsness is running as the Green Party candidate.
Senate District 5
• Incumbent Sen. Tom Saxhaug, DFL-Grand Rapids, first elected for District 3 in 2003, elected to District 5 in 2013.
• Challengers Justin Eichorn and Pedie Pederson will face each other in the Aug. 9 primary to determine who represents the Republican party.
House District 2A
• Retired Clearwater County Sheriff's Deputy Matt Grossell is running for District 2A as a Republican to replace current Rep. Dave Hancock, Bemidji.
• Jerald "Jerry" Loud, executive director of the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program for the Red Lake Band of Chippewa, is running for the DFL.
House District 2B
• Incumbent Rep. Steve Green, R-Fosston, first elected in 2012.
• Waubun resident Bryan Klabunde is running for the DFL.
Senate District 2
• Incumbent Sen. Rod Skoe, DFL-Clearbrook, first elected to the House in 1999 and to the Senate in 2003.
• Paul Utke, Park Rapids City Council member, will challenge Skoe as a Republican.
The following are the candidates running to represent Minnesota at the U.S. House of Representatives:
Minnesota District 7
• Incumbent Collin Peterson, D, first elected to the House in 1990.
• Author and missionary Amanda Lynn Hinson will challenge endorsed Republican candidate and General Atomics employee Dave Hughes in the Aug. 9 primary to face Peterson.
Minnesota District 8
• Incumbent Rick Nolan, D, elected to District 8 in 2012 after having served as the representative for District 6 from 1975-1981.
• Stewart Mills, who ran for District 8 in 2014, is in the race again on the Republican side.