Mask and Rose Theater seeks actors for upcoming production of 'Water from Snow'
The Mask and Rose Theater is seeking actors and singers for a concert reading of the songs in a new musical, “Water from Snow,” by Janet Preus, Robert Elhai and Fred Steele.
PUPOSKY — The Mask and Rose Theater is seeking actors and singers for a concert reading of the songs in a new musical, “Water from Snow,” by Janet Preus, Robert Elhai and Fred Steele.
"As the play is set in a small town in northern Minnesota, we’re looking for performers from the area who are comfortable with popular music — blues, country, R&B, ballads and musical theater styles," a release said.
Musical directors are Robert Elhai, who has written/arranged for the “The Lion King” musical on Broadway and composed for over 150 Hollywood films, as well as Fred Steele of the contemporary Black gospel group the Steele Family who also has composed works for Broadway stages as well, the release said.
The playwright/director/composer is Janet Preus, who has a strong background in musical theater and who now hails from Lake Kabekona in northern Minnesota, the release added.
In-person auditions with the director of a prepared song of any genre will be available from 6 to 7:30 p.m. on Monday, June 28, or 6 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 29, at the theater, located at 24011 Highway 89 NW in Puposky.
"Auditions can also be submitted by video, one or two unaccompanied songs with backing music sent on your smartphone is fine," the release said.
Here are the characters that are available to audition for:
- Kathy: In her 30s, mother of Annie. Pretty, likable, adrift.
- Annie: Kathy and Free’s 15-year-old daughter. Smart kid but has a teenage attitude.
- Stevie: Kathy’s dearest friend, the daughter of a Mexican migrant worker. In his 30s or older.
- Free: In his 30s, Native American. Kathy’s high school boyfriend and Annie’s dad. Baritone
- Tess: High school friend, now an accountant. Longtime girlfriend of Ted.
- Maribeth: High school friend, a ditzy type. Her marriage to Clark is shaky.
- Ted: Tess’ boyfriend. Good looking, used to having others look after him.
- Travis: A young farmer. Tenor, if possible.
- The “Old Farts”: A group of characters.
- Delbert: Male character.
- Ronnie: Female character.
- Jim: Male character.
- Pastor Larson: Older male.
Actors must have an entirely clear schedule from Monday, July 25, through Friday, July 29, for practices.
Performances will be held at 8 p.m. on Friday, July 29, and Saturday, July 30, and a matinee at 2 p.m. on Sunday, July 31.
There is a stipend available for actors' participation in the concert showcase.