BEMIDJI-Bemidji Area Church Musicians recently announced the 32nd season of its Summer Recital Series.
The 30-minute concerts, which are held in various churches around the city, are performed at noon every Wednesday, beginning June 5. A luncheon will be served following each recital.
Thirteen recitals will be presented featuring musicians who serve regularly in several of the Bemidji churches, or guests with a connection to one of the churches. A free-will offering will be received at each recital. For the past 23 years, the free-will offerings given at recitals have been used to grant scholarships to students beginning their college music career, a release said.
The students must demonstrate their involvement in church music and prepare an audition recording. The award this year is $750 to $1,000 applied to the student's second semester of college. The award may be extended to a second year, contingent upon the student performing a recital in the summer series and giving evidence of successful college work and music study.
Beginning this past fall, Bemidji Area Church Musicians initiated a new program offering a Fellowship in Church Music to students at Bemidji State University. The Student Fellow serves in music ministry at a given church in Bemidji and in exchange is paid a stipend. This helps churches to enlist university students to assist in their music program and gives the student a source of income to help them with college expenses. Information and the application form is available on Bemidji Area Church Musicians Facebook page.
There is no charge for the concerts, however, a contribution is requested. Lunch will be available following each recital, the meal cost will be set by the serving organization. The public is invited to all of the recitals in the season. For more information, call Kenneth Wold at (218) 751-2554, Carol L. Johnson at (218) 751-0415 or Shar Paquette at (218) 751-1893.
All concerts take place from noon to 12:30 p.m. each Wednesday.
• June 5: First City Handbell Choir, Carol L. Johnson and Vicki L. Stenerson, Co-directors. At St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, 1800 Irvine Ave. NW.
• June 12: Steve Saari, piano, Philip Hermann, organ. At First Presbyterian Church, 501 Minnesota Ave. NW.
• June 19: Sarah Carlson, organ. At First Lutheran Church, 900 Bemidji Ave. N.
• June 26: Melanie Hanson, violin, and Michael Hanson, alto saxophone. At Trinity Lutheran Church, 123 29th St. NE.
• July 3: Lois Simonson, piano, Kari Miller, flute, Sanna Gustafson, saxophone, Janet Pederson,violin. At the Evangelical Covenant Church, 5405 U.S. Highway 2 W.
• July 10: John Konecne, saxophone. At St. Mark's Lutheran Church, 2220 Anne St. NW.
• July 17: Bemidji Brass Quintet. At First Baptist Church, 1555 Paul Bunyan Drive NW.
• July 24: Free Church Musicians. At Evangelical Free Church, 115 Carr Lake Rd. SW.
• July 31: Glenn Seibel, euphonium and Wayne Hoff, piano. At United Methodist Church, 924 Beltrami Ave. NW.
• Aug. 7: Jennifer (Paquette) Ellis, piano, folk harp. At Calvary Lutheran Church, 2508 Washington Ave. SE.
• Aug. 14: St. Philip's Musicians. At St. Philip's Church, 702 Beltrami Ave. NW.
• Aug. 21: Traci Schanke, soprano, and Cheryl Durant, piano. At New Salem Lutheran Church, 7491 Island View Drive NE.
• Aug. 28: Jon Romer, native flute, Mike Tangen, guitar, Evan Byler, tenor, Sarah Carlson, Piano. At First Lutheran Church, 900 Bemidji Ave. N.