Memorial Day celebrations include famous author Bill Jamerson today, "Dollar a Day Boys," a music and storytelling event about the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. at Lake Bemidji State Park. A question and answer program will follow; if you own any WWII memorabilia, bring them along.
When we saw the cemeteries of American soldiers in France and Italy, they were well kept and proudly noted as American or Australian or English soldiers.
Thank anyone this week for their service, I know my husband is getting better with the greetings and blushes a bit and now says "Thank you."
Make sure to buy a poppy this year.
• Calling all artists, crafters and authors to Farm by The Lake's 4th Annual Festival on Sunday, Aug. 27, near Bagley. Set-up by 11 a.m. with a 12-6 p.m. show. Booths are $30 and authors booths are $20. Booths go fast, they tell us, so you should register as soon as possible. More information, farmbythelakebagleymn.blogspot.com
• Paul Bunyan Playhouse will open the summer series with a musical, "The Marvelous Wonderettes," which will take you on a mystical, magical journey of songs of the girls from the 50s and 60s. They will keep you smiling during the trip down memory lane. The box office - 751-7270 will be open in May. Show dates are June 7-11 and June 14-17 with the Sunday matinee; $17 which includes opening night for the first four productions. Evening show times (Wed-Sat) are 7:30 p.m. and the matinee is 2 p.m.
• "Moon Over Buffalo" directed by Vicki Stenerson will open at the Longlake Theater at 7:30 p.m. on June 8-10 at 7:30 p.m.; Gala after the matinee on June 10.
• The city of Bemidji and Bemidji Community Theater are taking reservations for this year's Summer Theater Camp at BSU Bangsberg Fine and Performing Arts Complex June 5-16, Monday through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m. The choices are Level 1 Skill Building, Level 2 Advanced Performance Camp, Out of the Box and Tech Camp for those interested in backstage. Register on line at www.ci.bemidji.mn.us or call (218) 333-1850.
• "Coming Home: Young Songwriters Workshop with Berit Dybing, Erlend Odnes Kelving, Caige Jambor and Cory Medina from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 17, at Headwaters School of Music and the Arts, 519 Minnesota Ave. NW. Registration is required and the cost of the workshop is $25. The workshop will be followed by an after-workshop showcase that will be open to the public from 6-9 p.m. Call Headwaters at 444-5606.
• The Region 2 Arts Council is hosting a "Board Boot Camp," presented by MAP for Nonprofits, on Monday, June 26, from 9 a.m. to noon at the Northwest Minnesota Foundation in Bemidji. R2AC is offering this workshop to regional arts organizations' Boards of Directors at no cost. Board Boot Camp includes these outcomes: Discuss board member motivations for board service, Explore nonprofit life stages, understand the roles and responsibilities of board members, and Emerge with confidence and enthusiasm about board governance roles, according to a release. Jennifer Kramm from MAP for Nonprofits will be the presenter. They will be serving coffee and continental breakfast.
• Intermediate Watercolor Workshop with Jane Freeman from noon to 4 p.m. on Thursday, June 23, at the Clearwater Life Center in Gonvick. The class is free, but bring your watercolors. Registration is required, call (218) 751 5447.
• Book readers at Bemidji Public Library will meet at noon, on Monday, June 12. The group will discuss "Leaving Time" by Jodi Picoult.
• First Friday Art Walk is getting a new look, including a new logo, that will be featured on flags, rack cards, window decals and posters that will appear in various Bemidji restaurants, hotels, and businesses. The new graphic work was accomplished by Hope Wall, a former BSU student.
Patt Rall is a longtime arts supporter and journalist in Bemidji. She can be reached at email@example.com