HOUGHTON, Mich. – For the third time this season, Bemidji State and Michigan Tech headed to overtime.

The first two times the teams met, Michigan Tech swept Bemidji State out of the Sanford Center with a pair of overtime victories.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

This time around, the Beavers were able to salvage a little something in the standings and avoid the sweep.

Ben Kinne scored an early shorthanded goal and just missed scoring the game-winner in overtime as the Beavers and Huskies skated to a 2-2 tie Saturday night.

With the tie, the Beavers avoided being swept by the Huskies for the second time this season.

It also gave each team a point in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association standings. The Beavers (5-12-5, 4-8-4 WCHA) and the Huskies (7-12-4, 4-10-4 WCHA) are tied for 10th place in the league with 12 points apiece.

“We needed a point,” BSU head coach Tom Serratore told Beaver Radio Network following the game. “We just have to get our power going. We had opportunities but we couldn’t get one. We still won the special teams battle with the shorthanded goal, but we’ve gotta do more on the power play.”

The Beavers took a 2-1 lead into the dressing room at the second intermission, but the Huskies notched the equalizer with Blake Pietila’s goal just 3 minutes, 6 seconds into the third frame.

From there the two squads were fairly even. Tech had a 9-7 shots advantage but neither team could find a game-winner.

In the overtime period, the Beavers had a golden opportunity when the Huskies were whistled for two penalties with under a minute to play.

Tanner Kero tripped BSU’s David Boehm with just 55 seconds to go in the overtime period.

Then, with the clock winding down, a slashing call on Blake Pietila gave the Beavers a brief 5-on-3 with just 5 seconds remaining.

The Beavers won the faceoff and found Kinne waiting off to the side. But the senior captain for the Beavers hit the side of the net and the goal horn sounded, ending the game at 2-2.

Kinne scored BSU’s first goal in the opening period. With the Beavers on the penalty kill, Kinne picked up a loose puck into the neutral zone and had a 2-on-0 opportunity with Brad Robbins trailing behind him.

He took a shot and beat Tech goalie Phenoix Copley five-hole to give the Beavers a 1-0 lead at 17:08.

In the second frame, Tech’s Ryan Furne tied things up at 1-1 with an unassisted tally, but the Beavers once again took the lead at the 11:25 mark.

Brance Orban did a nifty spin-o-rama move to Aaron McLeod, who was waiting in front of Copley and redirected in past Copley’s right shoulder.

The Beavers outshot the Huskies 33-30 in the game, including a 15-3 first period.

The Beavers went 0-for-7 on the power play in the game.

Bemidji State goaltender Andrew Walsh made 28 saves for the Beavers, while Copley stopped 31 shots for the Huskies.

BSU returns to action next weekend when they’ll host Nebraska-Omaha in a WCHA series at the Sanford Center. Friday’s game will begin at 7:37 p.m. and Saturday’s faceoff is set for 7:07 p.m.

Bemidji State 1 1 0 0 – 2

Michigan Tech 0 1 1 0 – 2

First Period – 1, BSU, Kinne (Windle, Walsh), 17:08, SH. Penalties – MTU, Fillion (Boarding), 2:17; MTU Rix (Holding), 9:00; BSU, McLeod (Roughing), 15:13; MTU, Brown (Roughing), 15:13; MTU, Pietila (Unsportsmanlike Conduct), 15:13; BSU, George (Roughing), 15:13; BSU, McLeod, (Unsportsmanlike Conduct), 15:13; MTU, Eick (Checking From Behind), 18:09.

Second Period – 2, MTU, Furne (Unassisted), 6:01; 3, BSU, McLeod (Orban, Wacker), 11:25. Penalties – MTU, Fillion (Slashing), 14:17, BSU, George (Tripping), 17:59.

Third Period – 4, MTU, B.Pietila (Kero, Petan), 3:06. Penalties – Johnstone (Tripping), 13:14.

Overtime – No Scoring. Penalties – MTU, Kero (Tripping), 4:05; MTU, Pietila (Slashing), 4:55.

Goalies – BSU, Walsh (30-28); MTU, Copley (33-31).

Shots On Goal – BSU (15-9-7-2-33); MTU (3-14-9-4-30).

Penalties-Minutes – BSU 4-8; MTU, 9-18.

Power Plays – BSU, 0-for-7; MTU 0-for-2.