MINNEAPOLIS — Target plans to take new steps this weekend to curb the spread of the coronavirus in its stores and distribution centers.

Beginning Saturday, April 4, the Minneapolis-based retailer will restrict the number of shoppers permitted in its brick-and-mortar locations, if necessary, to ensure social distancing, the company said Thursday in a news release. It will also distribute face masks and gloves to its 350,000 employees.

“Target will actively monitor and, when needed, meter guest traffic in its nearly 1,900 stores nationwide to promote social distancing,” the release said. Occupancy limits will vary by location.

Other safety measures put in place earlier this month will continue, such as enhanced cleaning routines, floor signage to encourage shoppers to remain 6 feet apart and plexiglass partitions at checkout lanes.