WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump launched into a freewheeling, televised strategy session with lawmakers over the issue of guns by declaring that he will unilaterally bar so-called "bump stocks" and asking Congress to send him one "terrific" bill aimed at reducing gun violence.
Scott Blackmun is stepping down as chief executive of the United States Olympic Committee, the organization announced Wednesday. In eight years leading the USOC, Blackmun drew praise for repairing relations with the International Olympic Committee and for landing another Summer Games on American soil, but also took sustained criticism for perceived reluctance to intervene in a series of sex abuse scandals, most recently the Larry Nassar case that has engulfed USA Gymnastics and prompted three Congressional inquiries.
INDIANAPOLIS - For the Philadelphia Eagles, the celebration of their Super Bowl triumph is done and it's time to get back to work. Preparations for next season are underway and one of the biggest orders of offseason business for the team's brain trust is deciding what to do with Nick Foles, the reigning Super Bowl MVP who is slated to return to backup status when franchise quarterback Carson Wentz returns from his knee injury. "Our intention is to keep all our good players," Howie Roseman, the team's top front office football executive, said Wednesday at the NFL Scouting Combine.
The father of a 14-year-old girl who was gunned down in Parkland, Florida, has called on President Donald Trump to address threats against student survivors and their families - many of whom have been outspoken about their desire for tighter gun-control laws since the deadly shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Some have been harassed (or worse) by gun-rights advocates; others have become the target of viral lies and even death threats.
Actually, CNN did not attempt to impose some "scripted" questions on Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Colton Haab. Such was the message on Tuesday night issued from Fox News hosts Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity in corrections to the bogus media story of last week.
Oklahoma is tightening its rules for fracking after studying a new cluster of earthquakes in one of the hottest U.S. regions for drilling. The Oklahoma Corporation Commission announced that all explorers within certain areas must use equipment known as a seismic array, which detects movement underground. The regulators also lowered the quake threshold for pausing work from 3.0 magnitude to 2.5, a level where humans can feel the earth move. The mandated delay is for at least six hours.
A man who authorities say raped several women while posing as a driver for a ride-hailing service in Los Angeles is facing more than two dozen charges. Nicolas Morales raped seven women over a 15-month period across Los Angeles County, prosecutors said Tuesday. The crimes took place throughout the region, they said, from Beverly Hills to the San Gabriel Valley city of Alhambra.
A woman says she awoke on an overnight Delta flight to a man squeezing her crotch, and then leaning on top of her as she struggled to get out of her aisle seat. Allison Dvaladze ran and asked flight attendants for help, she said, but was told that such assaults are quite common, and was later asked to return to her seat. Nearly two years after she says she watched the man walk off the plane unhindered, Dvaladze sued Delta Air Lines in federal court Tuesday - unsatisfied with the frequent flier miles she says the airline offered for the inconvenience of a sexual assault.
Police investigators are bewildered as they work through the "extremely unusual" circumstances surrounding the missing-person case of Timothy Cunningham, a researcher who vanished Feb. 12, shortly after hearing why he had been passed over for a promotion at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cunningham, 35, told colleagues he was not feeling well and left work at CDC headquarters in Atlanta, not long after speaking with his supervisor about why he had not been promoted, Atlanta Police Maj. Michael O'Connor told reporters.
Dick's Sporting Goods will no longer sell assault-style firearms, will ban high-capacity magazines and will not sell any guns to people younger than 21, the company announced Wednesday, a significant move for the retail giant in the midst of renewed calls for national gun reform.