- Member for
- 2 years 5 months
ST. PAUL -- A 13-year-old girl called 911 this week to report she got out of her mother’s vehicle and was scared because the woman was driving drunk, according to St. Paul police. Officers found Kristin Rae Clouse on Wednesday about noon. Her eyes were watery, her speech slurred, and her breath smelled of alcohol, according to a complaint filed in the Ramsey County District Court.
Although the hurricanes have been a long way from North Dakota and the Upper Midwest, its effects are still being felt across the region via the way of gas prices. Since Hurricane Harvey decimated southern Texas where refineries are abundant, gas prices have climbed about 20 cents in the past few weeks. Hurricane Irma isn't expected to have much of an effect, so AAA spokesman for North Dakota Gene LaDoucer expects gas will drop back down at least 10 cents to 15 cents within the next few weeks. With winter approaching, prices are likely to stay down or drop even lower.
STURGIS, S.D.—The South Dakota Black Hills town of Sturgis will be home to a different type of rider later this month. Known for its motorcycle rally that has been running for 77 years, the new four-day rally on Sept. 21 to Sept. 24 will be for ATV/UTV enthusiasts. The event will be in downtown Sturgis and organizers said there are more than 3,000 miles of trails and roads to ride on in the area mostly through the Black Hills National Forest Motorized Trail System. The new event is being called the "ATV/UTV Sturgis Off-Road Rally."
ALBERTVILLE, Minn. — One Air Force reservist was seriously injured and eight others were shaken up on an Air Force Reserve bus when it was hit by a semi while stopped in traffic on Interstate 94 in east-central Minnesota about noon on Thursday, Sept. 7.
BROOTEN, Minn. -- A 15-year-old boy is in the Children’s Hospital in Minneapolis with severe head injuries after he fell from a pickup over the Labor Day weekend and hit his head on pavement. Dylon Jergenson of Glenwood was standing on the rear bumper of a 2000 GMC Yukon attempting to hold down a portable goose blind being transported on the roof of the Yukon when a gust of wind caused the blind to break free, according to the Stearns County Sheriff’s Office.
ST. CLOUD, Minn. -- Two friends from Iowa who were visiting a home in St. Cloud got in a fight early Tuesday morning with one of the men accused of stabbing the other to death. St. Cloud Police said they were called to a home in southwest St. Cloud about 6:35 a.m. where a man had been stabbed in the torso. Life-saving measures were started and continued on the way to the St .Cloud Hospital, but the man died at the hospital at 7:25 a.m.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D.— Children with the worst kind of diabetes never get a day off. Dr. Kurt Griffin and the rest of his Sanford Research Center team are trying to change that and find a better way to treat Type I diabetes that affects about 2 in every 100,000 children in the U.S. "The children and family really pay," Griffin, who works out of a small office in the Sioux Falls center, said. Not only has the cost of a vial of insulin gone from about $50 only about 10 years ago to $400 now, Griffin said the shots themselves take a toll.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D.—The most common cancer in children is leukemia and in 90 percent of the cases treatments are successful. It's the other 10 percent that bothers physicians and scientists such as Sanford Research Center researcher Dr. Sam Milanovich, who grew up in western North Dakota. He's glad to be back on the Northern Plains to help in the fight to reach a goal of 100 percent success in leukemia treatment from his study area at the Sioux Falls facility.
ST. PAUL -- Minnesota Department of Health officials on Friday declared an end to the largest measles outbreak since 1990. The outbreak of spring and summer 2017 that sickened 79 people, mostly children under 10 years of age, began when the first case was identified April 11. The last case was identified on July 13. Under public health practice, the outbreak can be declared over if there are no new cases identified for 42 days.
CASS LAKE, Minn. -- Leech Lake Tribal College in northern Minnesota had some good news on their first day of classes Monday, Aug. 21. The Cass Lake college was named the best community college in the U.S. The study by personal finance website WalletHub ranked more than 700 college and technical schools across the U.S. based on affordability, student-faculty ratio, graduation rates and job placement.