Weather Forecast


Hockey Day is coming to Bemidji; 13th annual event set for winter 2019

No. 6 Bemidji State men's hockey team falls to Ohio State in overtime

Bemidji State's Ryan Cramer (15) falls to the ice and tries to maintain control of the puck after a hit from Ohio State's Matt Bartkowski during Saturday's game in Grand Forks, N.D. Pioneer Photo/BSU Photo Services

Maybe the Beavers were due for a clunker of a game ... but don't tell head coach Tom Serratore that.

Kyle Reed's goal 48 seconds into overtime gave Ohio State University (6-9-1, 4-5-1-1 CCHA) a 2-1 win over the Bemidji State men's hockey team (11-2-1, 6-0-0 CHA) at the Subway Holiday Classic in Grand Forks Saturday.

"You guys better ask the questions because you don't want me to make an opening statement," an obviously perturbed Serratore told a press gathering after the game. "As a coach I think we should be up for every game. I know that doesn't always happen, but ...

"It was just one of those games - very vanilla. We had no energy, no intensity. Quite honestly I was hoping to get out of there with a tie. It was a hard game to coach and, I'm sure, hard to watch."

The teams traded goals in a slow paced first two periods. After a scoreless third, OSU wasted little time in getting the game winner.

Right after the Beavers' Matt Read had a scoring chance at the BSU end, OSU turned up ice and converted. John Albert funneled the puck to the net and BSU goalie Mathieu Dugas made a kick save. Reed was there to bang away at the puck three times before finally rapping it home.

"In order to be successful you need to learn how to win these close games against very good teams," said OSU head coach John Markell. "Bemidji State has a very good team - very good with their systems and very good defensively. We came away with the win."

Bemidji State scored the lone goal of the first period. BSU defender Ryan Adams started the play, ringing the puck around the end boards in the Beavers offensive zone. Darcy Findlay corralled the puck in the near corner and flipped it in front to Aaron McLeod who lifted the puck past OSU goalie Cal Heeter at 17:29.

Little did anyone know that would be the only offense for the Beavers on the night.

Prior to the goal both teams had great chances to score. For the Beavers Shea Walters hit Ryan Cramer weith a pass in the slot and Cramer rang a shot off the post at 9:12. OSU then missed a golden opportunity as their top scorer Zac Dalpe went in on a breakaway, only to be stopped by Dugas.

The shots were even in the period at 5-5.

Ohio State evened the score with the only goal of the second period. Ian Boots connected on a rebound off a shot from Devon Krogh at 17:39 to make it 1-1.

Once again, both teams just missed on Grade A chances earlier in the period. The Beavers had great chances as Heeter stopped Ben Kinne from in close, with the rebound going to McLeod who was stopped as well from point blank range at the eight minute mark. Dalpe appeared to have scored with a shot that got behind Dugas at 10:50, but the puck slipped just wide.

Ohio State held a 9-7 shot advantage in the period.

The third period had a bit more flow, but neither team was able to connect. Both teams had two power play opportunities in the period but neither team seriously threatened.

"It was a very disappointing game," Serratore reported. "We had a boat load of turnovers and didn't manage the puck well at all. I hope we have that out of our system now."

OSU ended the game with a 26-21 shot on goal advantage - four of the shots coming on the winning goal. Dugas made 24 saves for the Beavers in his first loss of the year, dropping to 3-1-0. Heeter made 20 stops to improve his record to 4-3-1.

The Beavers return home for their next action, entertaining College Hockey America foe Niagara at the John Glas Fieldhouse Friday and Saturday.