Weather Forecast


Mobile home previously visited by SWAT team catches fire

BEMIDJI – A mobile home that a SWAT team was dispatched to Monday caught on fire early Thursday morning.

The Bemidji fire department was called to Westwood Acres mobile home park, 1600 23rd St. NW, by a neighbor at 1:54 a.m. Thursday, according to a press release from the Bemidji Fire Department.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the unoccupied home, located on lot 344. They quickly put out a small fire in the living room. No injuries were reported.

Sixteen firefighters used two fire engines and one ladder truck, and were on scene for 2.5 hours. The fire caused an estimated $10,500 in damage to the home, according to the release.

There were few signs that a fire occurred at the home Thursday afternoon. No police tape was set up and the outside of the structure was relatively intact, except for a partially-broken window.

The cause is currently under investigation by the fire department, the Minnesota State Fire Marshal’s Office and the Bemidji Police Department.

Bemidji fire Chief Dave Hoefer said Thursday he doesn’t expect the investigation to be conclusive.

“I think, kind of as it sits right now, unless we come up with some more information, it’s probably just going to be undetermined after investigation,” Hoefer said.

While Bemidji police Sgt. Dave Hanson called Thursday’s incident a “suspicious fire,” it’s unclear if it was related to what happened Monday afternoon at the same home.

Police were called there Monday after neighbors reported seeing a man crawl through the window. Police identified the man as Daniel Wayne Jourdain, 28, who had a warrant out for his arrest after missing a court date March 8.

Jourdain, who was convicted of felony third-degree assault in April 2012, was the subject of two prior SWAT calls, according to an incident report from the police department.

A SWAT team was called in Monday to assist with the arrest. But while the team strategized, Jourdain was taken into custody by police without incident.

He later paid $2,500 in bail, and was released from the Beltrami County Jail.

John Hageman

John Hageman covers North Dakota politics from the Forum News Service bureau in Bismarck. He attended the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities, where he studied journalism and political science, and he previously worked at the Grand Forks Herald and Bemidji Pioneer.  

(701) 255-5607