Nine BSU faculty members to be named emeriti
Nine faculty members with a combined 240 years of service to Bemidji State University will be named emeriti Friday during BSU's 90th commencement.
Commencement will begin at 2 p.m. in the BSU John Glas Fieldhouse. The traditional commencement walk from the Bangsberg Fine Arts Complex across campus to the Gillett Recreation-Fitness Center will begin at 1:25 p.m.
Faculty who retire from BSU with at least 15 years of service are eligible to receive emeriti status.
The group of 2009 emeriti are:
- Sandra L. Rasmus, assistant emerita to the vice president for academic affairs, 34 years.
- James L. Richards, professor emeritus of computer science, 33 years.
- David E. Kingsbury, professor emeritus of technological studies, 31 years.
- Stephen I. Gurney, professor emeritus of English, 31 years.
- Kathleen C. Hatch, director emerita of First Year Residential Experience/orientation, 29 years.
- Ranae Womack, professor emerita of nursing, 23 years.
- Dale L. Sakrison, professor emeritus of education, 21 years.
- Leo D. Morgan Jr., director emeritus of academic technology, 20 years.
- Mark Schmit, professor emeritus of technological studies, 18 years.
Also during commencement, about 850 students will be eligible to receive degrees, and Don Shelby, longtime TV anchor with WCCO-TV in Minneapolis, will be recognized as the recipient of the 2009 Distinguished Minnesotan Award.