Strong support: Beltrami County Relay for Life on Saturday at Sanford Center
BEMIDJI—The annual Beltrami County Relay for Life is scheduled for Saturday, July 8, at the Sanford Center in Bemidji.
The event will run from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. The Relay for Life is free and open to the public, there is no fund-raising necessary beforehand to attend. Organizers also said attendees do not need to have a connection to cancer to participate.
Relay For Life is the signature fundraiser for the American Cancer Society, according to the ACS website. The event was started in 1985 in Tacoma, Wash., and has grown to more than 5,200 communities in 27 countries. Relay for Life events are staffed and coordinated by volunteers.
Here's a look at the Beltrami County for Life schedule of events:
• 5K For Relay, at the back of Sanford Center parking lot. Check-in/registration at 7 a.m. Race at 8 a.m.
• Car Show in the front parking lot from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Silent Auction runs from 11:45 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Photography By Trish will be taking pictures of survivors and children dressed up as Heroes and children with Superheroes from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• Laps around the Relay track led by various groups: Parade of Heroes lap at 11:30 a.m.; Lumberjack Lap at 3:45 p.m.; Show your Glow at 9 p.m. and Sweethearts lap at 9:45 p.m.
• Live music performed by Corey Medina & Brothers at 2 p.m. and Big Bass Ramblers at 4 p.m.
• Minnow Races from 1 to 4 p.m. hosted by the Youth Engagement, Beltrami Bobcat's 4H Club team and Horace May Huskies team.
• Dunk Tank—BHS Lumberjacks: Come dunk a Lumberjack player from 2 to 6 p.m.
• Activity Area open from noon to 8 p.m., with various child-friendly activities including a Home Depot building workshop, various games, fingernail painting by Vicky's Nails, coloring and a life-sized Operation game.
• Donate your hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths for free wigs to cancer patients from 1 to 4 p.m.
• Many different mascots will be at the event starting at 1 p.m.
• Cancer Survivors will be honored in a ceremony at 6 p.m. with a reception for them immediately following.
• The Luminary Ceremony will be held at 8 p.m.
Each Team booth is doing an activity and/or food item, organizer said, and there also is the Memory Garden full of Gerbera Daisies on site.