Bemidji native Glas applies for UND athletic director opening
By Kevin Fee
Grand Forks Herald
The number of applicants for the athletic director position at the University of North Dakota has increased significantly in the last few days -- and the list includes a familiar name to Sioux fans.
Former UND men's basketball coach and Bemidji native Rich Glas is one of nine recent applicants, which pushed the pool to 16.
Glas, who was head men's basketball coach at UND from 1988 through 2006, is a former athletic director at Willamette University of Salem, Ore. He is an assistant men's basketball coach at Division I Northern Iowa.
Several sitting athletic directors and associate athletic directors have applied for the UND job that opened after Tom Buning resigned in November.
The list includes:
- Loren Ferre, Washburn University of Kansas athletic director since 1996. He is a former athletic director at Black Hills State.
- Tom Gioglio, East Stroudsburg University athletic director since 2004. Gioglio had a principal internship at Minot Ryan High School in the mid-1990s.
- Tim Hickman, University of Missouri associate athletic director since 2002.
- Scott Kull, Texas Christian University associate athletic director since 2005.
- Tim Leonard, University of Central Florida associate athletic director since 2004.
- Steven Rackley, University of Findlay of Ohio athletic director since 1999.
- Tom Sadler, president of Encore Facility Management and Global Entertainment Marketing Systems since 2005.
- Scott Street, Texas-Pan American athletic director since 2005.
The Bemidji Pioneer and Grand Forks Herald are both owned by Forum Communications Co.