Weather Forecast


Carbon monoxide poisoning victims identified

The two adults who were sickened by carbon monoxide poisoning have been identified.

Charles Eugene Bartz, 66, and Catherine Mary Brewster, 53, both of Pennington, were taken to two Minnesota hospitals Saturday for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Brewster was treated and released at North Country Regional Hospital for bruises she sustained in a fall while vacating the residence, according to a press release from the Beltrami County Sheriff's Office. Bartz was transferred from NCRH to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he remained Monday afternoon as he underwent further treatment.

Brewster called Beltrami County Dispatch for help at 5:33 a.m. Saturday, the release stated. She was able to report their symptoms and tell the dispatcher that she believed propane was the source of the problem. She also was able to open a window to allow air into the home and was then instructed to vacate the residence with Bartz and not return. She remained on the phone as emergency personnel arrived.

Deputies and personnel from Beltrami County, Leech Lake Ambulance and Cass Lake Fire Department responded to the call.

The level of carbon monoxide inside the home was considered to be a potentially lethal amount, the release stated.

The residence was a new home with a wood and propane boiler, which had not been used prior to the early-morning hours of Saturday, the release said.