Weather Forecast


Stately charged with assaults at Wal-Mart

Arlan James Stately, Jr., 35, address unknown, was charged Thursday with the alleged assaults that occurred Tuesday evening at Wal-Mart.

Stately was charged with two counts of third-degree assault, felony theft, and first-degree criminal damage to property.

According to the criminal complaint, Stately attempted to leave Wal-Mart with a shopping cart full of merchandise when the store's security alarms were activated. A Wal-Mart store employee asked to see his receipt, but Stately allegedly ignored him and walked out of the store. The employee followed him, again asking to see his receipt. Stately then turned and punched the man, according to the complaint. The cart later was determined to contain $531.45 worth of merchandise, the complaint said.

Two nearby men saw the alleged assault and began following Stately through the parking lot, wanting to keep him in view until police arrived.

Stately, according to the complaint, turned and asked if they were trying to save the world for Wal-Mart and then allegedly punched one of them in the head, knocking him to the ground. The other man, an off-duty officer with the Brainerd Police Department, then backed away from Stately, but kept him in sight until officers arrived.

When Bemidji officers arrived on the scene, a man pointed at Stately, who was walking away from everyone in the parking lot, and said, "That's him." Stately began running through and then allegedly stopped next to a Lexus, looked at a nearby police officer and got on the car, jumping up and down on its hood until it buckled.

The officer directed Stately to get off the vehicle and get on his knees, which he did. However, when he was ordered to lie down on the ground, he allegedly refused to comply and brought his left hand down and reached into his pocket. The officer then discharged his taser gun and Stately was arrested.

Upon surveying the scene, officers reported that the first victim, a paraplegic, suffered a broken tooth, and the second victim had a cut along his left cheekbone and a broken nose. His face was bleeding, swollen and red. He was transported to North Country Regional Hospital, where he was treated and released.