What's new at the Beltrami County Fair Horticulture Area
The 110th annual Beltrami County Fair is just around the corner, starting July 30 and running through Aug. 3. The area Master Gardeners with help from the local Garden Club and others
interested in area horticulture are again busy planning, cleaning and preparing the area for your
The theme for 2014 is again "Rockin' With the Oldies." We recommend pre-registration of all entries. Forms can be found on line at www.beltramicountyfair.org or in the Beltrami County Fair Booklet. Copies are available at the fairgrounds Extension Office, Bemidji Public Library and many area businesses. For anyone entering flowers, fruits or vegetables there is a new video available on how best to prepare specimens for entry. It can be found at the above online address.
Some things remain the same year after year but there are some changes for 2014. We hope they will enhance your experience entering and enjoying the horticulture area:
• Some premiums have increased.
• Arrangements will now be classified into two categories: novice and advanced.
• There are two different categories of scarecrows: "the rock star" or "any design."
• The Veggie/Fruit creature also has two categories: "rock n' roll dancer" or "any design."
• We've added a Decorated Chair category under Class 10, Garden Creations. Use live plant material and other theme material to give new life to an old chair.
• Special awards have been added in beer/wine category: Novice Arrangement Category and Best Youth Arrangement in each age class.
Again, we want to thank all who contribute to the Horticulture Area with special awards
including Vern and Sandy Holzhueter, Country Greenhouse, MarketPlace Foods, Nature's Edge
Garden Center, Deer Haven Greenhouse, and Image Photography. New this year are awards honoring Audrey Fenske.
We especially want to encourage area youth to enter specimens for judging. Read through the premium booklet to see all the categories open to youth. All entries must be brought to the horticulture area between noon. and 7 p.m. Wednesday, July 30.
For any questions please contact Jean Mathweg, Master Gardener and Superintendent of Horticulture at the fair. Her number is 1-218-444-9940.