Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Tennis team owns today's spotlight

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts

sports Bemidji, 56619

Bemidji Minnesota P.O. Box 455 56619

Bemidji's boys tennis team hopes to regain its winning form today when it entertains Detroit Lakes and East Grand Forks in a triangular beginning at 2 p.m.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The Jacks are coming off a pair of losses Saturday as they dropped a 6-1 decision to Thief River Falls and fell 5-2 to Monticello.

Coach Scott Engelstad used two different lineups Saturday in an attempt to find the best match-ups.

Ben Holter was among Saturday's bright spots as he captured a pair of wins at first singles. Against Monticello, the Lumberjacks also won at first doubles behind Adam Holter and Justin Byers.

Bemidji will take a 3-6 record into today's action.

Baseball

Bemidji baseball coach Mike Fogelson is looking at today's weather forecast from an optimistic point of view.

"We haven't played a game in two weeks," Fogelson, whose team is scheduled to visit Roseau at 4:30 p.m. today, said. "There's a 30 percent chance of rain in Roseau today. But the way I see it, there's a 70 percent chance that it won't rain. And that's our take on the weather forecast.

When a team hasn't hit the field in two weeks the coach doesn't fully know what to expect and that's the situation the Jacks find themselves in today.

"It's been a long layoff," Fogelson said. "Hopefully, we haven't forgotten everything we've learned this season. We've had bullpen sessions and quality practices the past two weeks but I'm sure the players are excited to get back on the diamond."

Today's game represents the start of a busy stretch which will see, weather permitting, the Lumberjacks play 12 games in 16 days. This week's schedule includes a doubleheader Thursday at Grand Forks and Friday's home twinbill against Alexandria.

Next week the Jacks host Warroad in a Tuesday doubleheader and then prepare for their annual Des Sagedahl Wooden Bat tournament on May 21-22.

"We're going to be busy the next two weeks and I'll be using our entire mound staff," the coach said.

Tyler Follis is scheduled to pitch today but Fogelson said all of his pitchers are available for an inning or two if needed.

"We'll piece this game together as best we can," Fogelson said.

A probable defensive alignment will see Mason Bellew at first, Jeremiah Graves at second, Mitch Hendricks at short, Tyler Tatro at third, Matt Hietala, Cody Rutledge and Josh Kane in the outfield and Collin Leif behind the plate.

Softball

The softball team also is well-rested as it has played only one full game and four innings of another since April 26. The Lumberjacks hope to return to the diamond today when they visit Fargo North.

The only completed game in the past two weeks was last Thursday when BHS blanked Moorhead 5-0 in Moorhead.

Jess Yost tossed a 2-hitter, fanning 12 and walking only one. Yost also belted three hits while Janelle Williams collected a pair of RBI with her three hits.

Bemidji's offense ripped 12 hits, four of them coming in the third inning when the Lumberjacks scored three runs.

Today's game represents the beginning of a busy week which will include Thursday's contest at Thief River Falls and Saturdays game at Cloquet.

Y pmiller@bemidjipioneer.com

Bemidji's boys tennis team hopes to regain its winning form today when it entertains Detroit Lakes and East Grand Forks in a triangular beginning at 2 p.m.

The Jacks are coming off a pair of losses Saturday as they dropped a 6-1 decision to Thief River Falls and fell 5-2 to Monticello.

Coach Scott Engelstad used two different lineups Saturday in an attempt to find the best match-ups.

Ben Holter was among Saturday's bright spots as he captured a pair of wins at first singles. Against Monticello, the Lumberjacks also won at first doubles behind Adam Holter and Justin Byers.

Bemidji will take a 3-6 record into today's action.

Baseball

Bemidji baseball coach Mike Fogelson is looking at today's weather forecast from an optimistic point of view.

"We haven't played a game in two weeks," Fogelson, whose team is scheduled to visit Roseau at 4:30 p.m. today, said. "There's a 30 percent chance of rain in Roseau today. But the way I see it, there's a 70 percent chance that it won't rain. And that's our take on the weather forecast.

When a team hasn't hit the field in two weeks the coach doesn't fully know what to expect and that's the situation the Jacks find themselves in today.

"It's been a long layoff," Fogelson said. "Hopefully, we haven't forgotten everything we've learned this season. We've had bullpen sessions and quality practices the past two weeks but I'm sure the players are excited to get back on the diamond."

Today's game represents the start of a busy stretch which will see, weather permitting, the Lumberjacks play 12 games in 16 days. This week's schedule includes a doubleheader Thursday at Grand Forks and Friday's home twinbill against Alexandria.

Next week the Jacks host Warroad in a Tuesday doubleheader and then prepare for their annual Des Sagedahl Wooden Bat tournament on May 21-22.

"We're going to be busy the next two weeks and I'll be using our entire mound staff," the coach said.

Tyler Follis is scheduled to pitch today but Fogelson said all of his pitchers are available for an inning or two if needed.

"We'll piece this game together as best we can," Fogelson said.

A probable defensive alignment will see Mason Bellew at first, Jeremiah Graves at second, Mitch Hendricks at short, Tyler Tatro at third, Matt Hietala, Cody Rutledge and Josh Kane in the outfield and Collin Leif behind the plate.

Softball

The softball team also is well-rested as it has played only one full game and four innings of another since April 26. The Lumberjacks hope to return to the diamond today when they visit Fargo North.

The only completed game in the past two weeks was last Thursday when BHS blanked Moorhead 5-0 in Moorhead.

Jess Yost tossed a 2-hitter, fanning 12 and walking only one. Yost also belted three hits while Janelle Williams collected a pair of RBI with her three hits.

Bemidji's offense ripped 12 hits, four of them coming in the third inning when the Lumberjacks scored three runs.

Today's game represents the beginning of a busy week which will include Thursday's contest at Thief River Falls and Saturdays game at Cloquet.

pmiller@bemidjipioneer.com

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness