Spawning fish prompt closures
Six streams in Beltrami and Clearwater counties are closed to angling and rough fish spearing through May 14, to protect spawning walleye and their eggs.
DNR officials have closed the following streams:
- Blackduck River, County Road 32 north to Red Lake Reservation boundary ;
- Clearwater River, below Clearwater Lake Dam;
- Mississippi River, below Power Dam to County Road 12;
- Shotley Brook, Minnesota Hwy. 72 to Upper Red Lake;
- Tamarac River, Upper Red Lake to Beltrami-Koochiching county line;
- Turtle River, between Three Island Lake and Turtle River Lake.
Due to early spawning conditions this year and a later fishing opener, none of these closures will be extended beyond the statewide walleye fishing opener on May 15