Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
Bemidji High School students file back into their classrooms Monday morning after a fire in a trash can on the second floor bathroom caused an evacuation. The students were dismissed early because the smell of smoke. Pioneer Photo/Monte Draper

Smoke prompts Bemidji High School early release

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
News Bemidji, 56619
Bemidji Pioneer
(218) 333-9819 customer support
Bemidji Minnesota P.O. Box 455 56619

A second-story bathroom fire at Bemidji High School prompted an early release of students Monday.

The fire, which was located and reported by a BHS student, was reported at 10:40 a.m. It was contained to a second-story bathroom.

Advertisement
Advertisement

While the fire was soon extinguished, there was smoke damage on the second floor of the high school's academic wing.

Students were evacuated outside immediately once the fire was reported. Later, due to the smoke damage, they were released for the day at 1:30 p.m. After-school activities were held as scheduled, and classes resumed as normal Tuesday morning.

No one was injured.

A BHS student noticed the fire and reported it to the school resource officer. Staff monitored the fire until Bemidji firefighters arrived on scene. Firefighters were responsible for is final suppression.

Firefighters remained on scene until after 1:30 p.m.

Advertisement
Pioneer staff reports
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness