Shooting incidents still being investigated
Two shootings that occurred last week and a weapons incident that led the involvement of the SWAT team remain under investigation, according to Bemidji Police Chief Gerald Johnson.
A drive-by shooting was reported at 4:52 a.m. Aug. 21 on the 400 block of Kay Avenue Southeast.
In that incident, a house sustained 12 bullets from two guns. The residence was damaged, but no one was injured.
A "weapons offense" was reported at 12:19 a.m. Aug. 24 on the 2400 block of Bemidji Avenue North. That incident led to the involvement of the SWAT team four hours later.
Evidence from both incidents is being sent to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension lab, Johnson said Tuesday.
Johnson said he wants answers as much as community members.
"Two shootings in three days is more than we need," he said.
The incidents, which are not believed to be related, remain under investigation, he said.
Individuals were arrested following the incident on Bemidji Avenue. But Johnson said none of those arrested has been identified as a shooter.
What exactly happened in and around that residence is not exactly known. Johnson said there was evidence that shots had been fired, but no one was injured. No eyewitnesses have come forward.
The call on that incident came from inside the residence, where someone reported having heard shots coming from upstairs, he said. But there also was evidence that showed shots may have been fired outside.
The SWAT team was called because of the report of shots having been fired upstairs, he said.
Individuals upstairs would not come out and speak with police.
Johnson said police had to consider the options of someone being hurt or held hostage, so the SWAT team was brought in to clear the scene.