School Board Agenda
The following is the agenda for regular Blackduck School Board meeting set for June 14 at 6 p.m. in the high school media center:
I. Call to Order Pledge
II. Agenda Changes
III. Approval of Minutes
IV. Chairperson's Announcements
A. Good Things Happening
1. Thank you to the Boys Baseball Team and the Girls Softball Team for giving the fans a fun season.
2. Thanks to Dale Compton and and Mark Sparby for cooking hamburgers and hot dogs for the students' picnic day.
3. RREAL technologies gave a nice presentation on solar heating and a tour of the Hunt utilities facilities. The boys (Tyler Wentworth, Ryan Dobmeier, Lucas Richardson, and Corey Stultz) were commended on their passive solar heater design and ran away with the competition. In a 48 hour testing period Bemidji's panel put out around 2,000 BTU's and during the same period, Blackduck's panel put out 27,000 BTU's. Blackduck's model will be used at Camp Rabideau this summer and other students will build four more of them to extend the growing season of their greenhouse. (Attachment A)
4. Thank you to all who were involved in the Graduation Ceremony. It was a great success.
5. Congratulation to this year's Track Team. Kayla Olson missed going to state by one place.
6. On May 21 we had "Survivor" Blackduck field day. It was a huge success! Grades K-5 participated in a variety of cooperation games throughout the day. When their time was up they came back in to have a healthy snack of bananas, apple juice and string cheese. We had a lot of help to make this very successful. Parent volunteers were: Sonja Juelson, Jolene Cornell, Terri Pater, Judy Savich, and Jesse Sparby. Also helping out were Sam Mistic, Brittany Mistic and the entire fifth grade. We are looking forward to doing this again next year.
7. Diane McKean would like to thank the school board for allowing her, to take eight of our students to the Young Authors Conference in Thief River Falls in May. It was a pleasure to work with these students and their behavior was exemplary. They certainly made Blackduck proud. Blackduck students participated in a series of break-out sessions throughout the day and were actively involved in creating and writing their own stories.
8. Thank you to the Blackduck American Legion for sponsoring one of the Howard boys for the summer leadership camp.
9. Thank you to the Northome VFW for their donation of $300 to help with expenses for the Firearms Safety Field Day.
B. Open Comments from General participation
V. Treasurer's Report (Attachment B)
A. Consent Agenda
1. Approve the May bills (Attachment C)
2. Approve the following open enrollment for the 2009/10 school year. From Red Lake to Blackduck; Renee Gomez.
B. Items for Individual Action
1. Consider having three sections of Kindergarten for the 2010/11 school year.
2. Consider accepting the resolution to terminate and non-renew the contract for Tammi Depew. (Attachment D)
3. Consider hiring Tammi Depew as the third kindergarten teacher for the 2010/11 school year.
4. Consider accepting the new employment agreement for the Community Education Coordinator.
5. Consider changing our group health plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield to HealthPartners effective 7/1/2010.
6. Consider accepting Andra Vaughn's resignation as the School Website Advisor. (Attachment E)
7. Consider hiring Rachel Gray as a long-term substitute for Stacy Swedberg from April 6 to June 4, 2010 at a salary of $7,609.62.
8. Consider hiring Rebecca Denny as an Employee at Will Health Aide for the 2010/11 school year.
9. Consider hiring Sue Dexter as an Employee at Will Van Driver for the 2010/11 school year.
10. Consider ratifying the Bus Drivers 2009-2011 Contract.
11. Consider hiring Bruce Norrgard as an Employee at Will Technology Coordinator for the 2010/11 school year.
12. Consider changing the title of the Lunch Program Manager to Food Service Director.
13. Consider accepting the employment agreement for the Food Service Director for the 2010/11 and 2011/12 school years.
14. Consider accepting the job descriptions and the responsibilities of the Head Cook and the Food Service Director. (Attachment F)
15. Consider hiring Tricia Holmgren as the JV volleyball coach for the 2010/11 season. This will be at level II, year 2 at $2,326.
16. Consider keeping the admission charges and the activity fees the same as last years. (Attachment G)
17. Consider adopting the preliminary 2010-11-school budget. (Attachment H)
18. Consider a resolution to place the High School Spanish Teacher on Unrequested Leave of Absence, a reduction of .64 FTE. (Attachment I)
C. Items for Discussion
1. Consider a parking lot repair proposal. (Attachment J)
2. Consider the tile estimate for the elementary hallway. (Attachment K)
4. Considering advertising for milk, bread, garbage collection and snowplowing.
5. Bond referendum information.
A. Principal Reports (Attachment L)
B. Enrollment Report (Attachment M)
C. Food Service Report (Attachment N)
A. A thank you card was received from Dave Decker. (Attachment O)
VIII. Future Meetings
A. Board Meeting July 12, 2010, at 6:30 p.m.