Sanford Health celebrates nursing
BEMIDJI — Every year, Sanford nurses work hard to save lives and to improve the health of thousands of individuals. With more than 430 nurses, Sanford Health of Northern Minnesota is the largest employer of nurses in the region. To celebrate the profession, the nursing staff was recently honored with a reception and award ceremony. The following individuals were recognized for their commitment to the profession.
• The Nursing Innovation Award recognizes a professional nurse who is involved in innovation in the practice of nursing at Sanford Health through behaviors, actions and delivery of care. The recipient of the 2014 Nursing Innovation Award was Nicole Hein, a registered nurse at Sanford Bagley Medical Center.
• The Rising Star Award recognizes a professional nurse in the first two years of practice who demonstrates passion for their newly chosen career. This nurse has transitioned from a student to a professional nurse and represents a commitment to continuous learning. The recipient of the 2014 Rising Star Award was Marilyn Andresen, a registered nurse at Sanford Bagley Medical Center.
• The Friend of Nursing Award was established to recognize an individual who is not a nurse, but who has helped the profession of nursing. This individual can come from other disciplines such as medicine, pharmacy, respiratory therapy, radiology or education. The recipient of the 2104 Friend of Nursing Award was Sandra Hardy, an environmental services aide at Sanford Bemidji Medical Center.
• The Florence Nightingale Professional Nurse Award was established to recognize nurses who are involved in the provision of the art and the science of nursing. Through strength of character, commitment and competence, this recipient is recognized by peers as one who contributes to the evolution of the nursing practice The recipient of the 2014 Florence Nightingale Award was Theresa Bentler, a cancer nurse navigator with Sanford Bemidji Cancer Center.
• In addition, 13 nurses were honored for achieving certification in their area of specialty during the past year, including:Theresa Bentler, Jill Biehn, Lea Bodenheimer, Sarah Duncan, Cary Grundmeier, Amy Johnson, Chad Macheel, Amy Magnuson, Jennifer Morehart, Savanna Peterson, Lindsey Stull and Nicholle Wolkenhauer-Larson.