R2AC awards $8,175 in grants
The Region 2 Arts Council awarded $8,175 through the Individual Artist Grant Program. Designed for artists at various stages in their careers, grants of up to $1,000 are awarded for expenses associated with projects or opportunities that contribute significantly to an artist's creative growth or career advancement. R2AC Individual Artist Grants are funded through an appropriation from the McKnight Foundation.
The grant recipients and information about their projects are listed below.
- Billie Annette received $1,000 to assist in submitting poetry manuscripts to publishers.
- Beverly Everett received $1,000 to assist in the study, through observation of rehearsals and performances of the work in Washington D.C., of Murry Sidlin's music drama "The Defiant Requiem" which tells the story of the Verdi Requiem performances at the Terezin Concentration Camp.
- Del Lyren received $1,000 to attend the 35th International Trumpet Conference in Sydney, Australia to obtain training for the position of upcoming conference host of the 36th annual ITG Conference in 2011.
- Joe Rossi received $1,000 to prepare, tone and size photos for a children's book, "Nature's Alphabet," to be published by the Minnesota Historical Society Press.
- Faith Lundin received $1,000 to attend a four-week music camp that will expand her musical abilities and knowledge and open up opportunities for artistic advancement.
- Deborah Brewster Carlson received $1,000 to assist in the purchase of camera equipment to aid in creating reference photos for her paintings.
- David R. Towley received $846 to assist in purchasing lumber to design, create and exhibit six significant works that express his interpretation of the marriage of the Prairie and Lake Country styles in fine hardwoods at the Bemidji Community Art Center.
- Norwood Francis Hall received $720 to assist in producing an original soundtrack including original scores, acoustic ecology, narration and a musical survey for a feature length film about the Mississippi Headwaters.
- Derek Olson received $609 to assist in purchasing an easel, digital camera and other costs associated with mural painting.
For more information on grants available, call the Region 2 Arts Council at 751-5447 or 800-275-5447 or visit the Web site r2arts.org.