"Project Shop Local" is new Chamber venture
It's called The 3/50 Project and the Blackduck Area Chamber of Commerce has joined this grassroots effort to save the brick and mortars of this great nation. The 3/50 Project helps residents to understand the importance of "thinking local" and "shopping local," right here in Blackduck.
THREE -- What three independently owned businesses would you miss if they disappeared? Stop in. Say hello. Pick up something that brings a smile. Your purchases are what keep those businesses around.
FIFTY -- If half the employed U.S. population spent $50 each month in locally owned independent businesses, it would generate more than $42.6 billion in revenue. Imagine the positive impact if 3/4 of the employed population did that!
For every $100 spent in locally owned independent stores, $68 returns to the local community through taxes, payroll and other expenditures. If you spend that in a national chain, only $43 stays here. Spend it online and nothing comes home. The number of people it takes to start a trend is one... you! Pick 3. Spend 50. Save your local economy.
To learn more, visit the The 3/50 Project website at www.the350project.net.
The top 10 reasons to shop local are:
1. Money Spent Local Stays Local. By shopping locally, you simultaneously create jobs, fund more city services through sales tax, invest in neighborhood improvement and promote community development.
2. Local Businesses Contribute to the Community. Ninety-one percent of local business owners contribute to their community including schools, nonprofits and community groups, by volunteering and making donations.
3. Local Businesses Provide Jobs. Small local businesses account for a large share of new jobs created each year and locally based businesses provide some of the most stable employment opportunities in a community. These employees in turn spend in the local economy.
4. Supporting Local Business Supports Your Neighbors. Local businesses in Blackduck are generally owned by people who live locally and are part of our community.
5. Local Businesses Maintain Blackduck's Uniqueness. Today's workers are choosing to settle in places that preserve their distinctive character. Blackduck has dozens of small businesses that have been in town for years, thus contributing to the town's special quality.
6. Small Businesses Offer Unique Choices. Blackduck businesses offer shoppers unique products and services. Independent shops create distinctive shopping experiences and respond more quickly to the need of local customers, stocking products to meet the changing population needs.
7. Receive Extra Attention and Quality Service. Research shows that small business owners compete by focusing on customer service and quality goods. Local business employees take the time to get to know their customers.
8. Shopping Local Saves You Money. Choosing to shop locally first saves you gas and travel time which equates to money saved.
9. Lower Environmental Impact. Local businesses make more local purchases requiring less transportation and help sustain vibrant, compact business centers, which generally mean reduced sprawl, congestion, habitat loss and pollution.
10. Entrepreneurship. Local entrepreneurship fosters economic innovation and prosperity. The success of locally owned, independent businesses provides real-life inspiration to our young people, proving that they can stay in Blackduck and prosper on their own terms.
It's your choice... Choose Blackduck. In an increasingly standardized world, it is important to support what is unique and special about our community. We feel strongly that the support, retention and expansion of our local businesses will only enhance our overall economic future.
By shopping locally, you are investing in Blackduck and helping to foster a climate that is more likely to attract entrepreneurs and new investment.
To kick off this project, a local business, showing what it can save you by shopping locally -- from lumber to hardware to pet boarding to farm supplies to insurance coverage to groceries to gas and food -- will be showcased in The American each month.
The businesses will be randomly highlighted so watch the newspaper for ways to save right here at home!
It's all here! You just have to "Shop Local" to benefit from all that Blackduck has to offer.