Powerful storm system headed to Bemidji region, bringing high winds and snow
The system is moving from northern Nebraska into southeastern South Dakota at midday and then will move into Minnesota. Light snow ahead of the storm continued over parts of northeastern North Dakota and extreme northwestern Minnesota, but more widespread and heavier snowfall will move into the region this afternoon and evening. Very strong winds will accompany the system, with north winds gusting in excess of 50 miles per hour along and west of the Red River Valley, causing blizzard conditions.
For the Bemidji area, rain began falling early Monday afternoon. It is expected to be mixed with sleet as the afternoon wears on. Snow is expected to start Monday evening and could be heavy at times. Temperatures will fall into the low teens overnight and strong winds will continue into Tuesday.
Here is the latest forecast for Bemidji from the National Weather Service:
- Monday afternoon: Rain, possibly mixed with sleet before 4 p.m., then snow. High near 38. North northeast wind around 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Monday night: Snow with areas of blowing snow. Low around 13. Blustery, with a north wind 22 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
- Tuesday: A 30 percent chance of snow before 1pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 27. Blustery, with a northwest wind 14 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 6. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light north northwest after midnight.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 34. North wind around 6 mph becoming east in the afternoon.
- Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 18.
- Thursday: A slight chance of snow before 2pm, then a slight chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Thursday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.