The Sanford Center First Wednesday of the Month Open House with classical guitarist Craig Haugen will be held from noon-3 p.m. today. Enjoy a free cup of coffee from Dunn Bros. Coffee, beignets and gourmet cupcakes from Althea's Cakery before taking a tour. Tours will be held at 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30 p.m. of this new state-of-the-art facility including the Bemidji State University hockey section.
"Fathom Film Festival" is calling for film submissions for the film festival to be held in April of 2012. Starting with this October, Saarens Productions will host a showing of film submissions from local, regional and national entries as part of the First Friday activities in Bemidji. Each month the audience will decide which film will compete in the April festival, during which prizes are awarded. The entry fee is $10 and DVD submissions may be sent to Saarens Productions, 508 Woodland Ave. S.W., Bemidji, MN 56601. Include contact information with entry. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, by phone at 2198-556-1777.
Anishinaabe Arts Initiative Grant Workshop sponsored by Region 2 Arts Council will be held at 1 p.m., today, Sept. 7 at Leech Lake Tribal College in Cass Lake. The grants are open to individual American Indian artists in all disciplines and offer funding for costs associated with the exhibition, performance, or production of a creative work; purchase of materials or equipment necessary for a creative work; educational opportunities; mentorships; and proposals for career-enhancing projects or opportunities. Artists can apply for grants up to $1,000.
Bemidji Public Library Book Discussion series will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 8, to discuss "Shadow Tag" by Louise Erdrich. This event is free and open to the public in the meeting room of the library, 509 America Ave. N.W.
- Jake Jackson, a local singer and musician, will perform his down-home American music starting at 9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 9, at Brigid's Cross Irish Pub and Restaurant, 317 Beltrami Ave. NW.
- Timberline with Kari Munson, John Essig and Dave Sand will perform from 8 p.m.-midnight Friday, Sept. 9, at Chase on the Lake, 502 Cleveland Boulevard, Walker.
- Medley of Local Entertainers will perform an array of folk, rock and indie music at 8 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10 Brigid's Cross Irish Pub and Restaurant.
- Roster McCabe will perform starting at 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 15, at the Blue Ox located in the Union Station, Bemidji, as part of their Fall 2011 Tour. Noted for their high-intensity, genre-blending, Funky Reggae Dance Rock, this tour will be supporting its new album "Live at the Cabooze Vol II." Admission is $5 and 21 is the minimum age to attend.
- The Headwaters School of Music and Arts will present Kelley Hunt in concert at 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 11, at the historic Chief Theatre, 314 Beltrami Ave. N.W., in support of the scholarship program. Tickets are $15 in advance at HSMA and Overbeek Music and $20 at the door. This event is underwritten by Paul Bunyan Communications and Tutto Bene.
- The Bemidji Symphony Orchestra Guild will host the third annual Desserts by Design Friday, Sept. 23, at the Hungry Bear Banquet & Conference Center, 2300 24th St. N.W., Bemidji. This event, sponsored by RiverWood Bank, promises to be a delightful evening of exclusively designed tables, unique desserts, musical entertainment and a silent auction. Viewing of the tables will begin at 7 p.m. with seating at 7:30 p.m. The cost is $20, and reservations can be made beginning Sept. 6 at Lueken's North in Bemidji. All proceeds will benefit the Bemidji Symphony Orchestra. For more information, contact Jeanette Halcrow at 444-2689 or Carol Milowski at 444-4344.
- Bemidji Area Arts Endowment will hold its Eighth Annual Oom Pah for the Arts from 6-10 p.m. Friday, Sept. 30, at the Hungry Bear Banquet & Conference Center. Tickets are $50 ($35 tax deductible donation) and include wine and beer tasting, a German dinner and music provided by Dennis Doeden, "Tuba" Jim Thompson and friends. BAAE is a component fund of Northwest Minnesota Foundation dedicated to the support of the arts in the Bemidji area, and this is the major fundraiser to support the grants and scholarships given yearly in support of string students, arts events and artists. Contact Mike Tangen at 444-8310 or any board member for tickets.
Birthday Bash! with Barney Live in Concert when Barney & Friends arrive in Bemidji Sept. 24. This musical production encourages sharing, caring and imagination through the power of song, dance and the beloved cast of characters including dino pals Baby Bop, BJ and Riff. The shows will be performed at 2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 24, at the Sanford Center, 111 Event Center Drive N.E., Bemidji. Tickets are $15 and $20 and there are a limited number of $25 Gold Circle Seats and $50 Dino Seats Packages (front row seats and a pre-show meet and greet with Barney.) A facility fee of $1 may be added to all ticket prices, additional fees and discounts may apply. For more information, call The Sanford Center Box Office at 441-4032. To charge tickets by phone, call Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000. Tickets may also be purchased online at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets go on sale now.
- Beginning Telemark Rosemaling workshop will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 3 and 4, with Shirley Evenstad at the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Clearbrook. The cost is $30, and the registration deadline is Sept. 15. Send check to R2AC.
- Fiber workshop will be held from 6-8 p.m. Thursdays, Oct. 13, 20 and 27, at Deb's Community Center, Debs, with Marilyn Lee. Participants will create a Paul and Babe Pillow or Wall Hanging, learn the appliqué technique and special sewing and finishing techniques. The cost is $30, and the registration deadline is Oct. 6 and includes materials. Send check to R2AC.
E Park Rapids Lakes Area Art Leap 2011: A driving tour of artists' studios and cultural destinations Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 24 and 25. See www.parkrapids.com for complete information.
- "Bell, Book and Candle" by John Van Druten at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 13-15, 20-22, 27-19 and at 2 p.m. Oct. 16 and 23, Fire Hall Theater, Grand Forks, N.D. www.GGFCT. Com.
- BSU Harpsichord Recital at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 15, in Bangsberg Recital Hall. Tickets: adults $10, seniors $5 and students free. More information to follow.
- "Judy Why Can't I," a play set in Hollywood which offers a glimpse into the life of Judy Garland features some of Garland's memorable songs beginning 7:30 p.m. Sept. 21-24, 22 and 29, and Oct. 1, 2, at Minnesota Folklore Theater, 6 Broadway St. Akeley. More information to follow.
- Mark Twain as portrayed by Richard Garey of Hannibal, Mo., Monday, Oct. 3 at Bemidji High School auditorium. More information to follow.