Pioneer Previews for May 12: Opera Night Gala on tap this week
BEMIDJI—Better get those reservations in for the Opera Night Gala coming Friday and Saturday. It all starts with a 6 p.m. social hour and dinner at 7 p.m., with a grand night of singing and music hosted by Fulton and Nancy Gallagher at Ruttger’s Birchmont Lodge to follow. One of the favorites, Julia Lamon, will be moving with her family to New York this summer, so this will be the last time to hear her sing. As an aside, Lamon has been accepted into the Manhattan School of Music for her graduate work.
The $65 ticket price includes dinner, singers and musicians with proceeds going to support the student singers who will appear each evening. Professionals in the group include Cory Renbarger and dramatic tenor J. Warren Mitchel, a recent winner of a Metropolitan Opera Council Auditions.
Contact the Gallaghers at 586-2536 or fgallagher@ paulbunyan.net to make your reservations or for further information.
- "Arsenic and Old Lace," a production of Bemidji Community Theater, will be performed at 2 p.m. today at the Chief Theater. Tickets are $12 for adults and $6 for children. Attendees can also receive 15 percent off the cost of the Mother’s Day Brunch at Tutto Bene (drinks not included) with proof of purchase.
Northern Exposure to Lifelong Learning will present Owais Bayunus and "Islam in Myth and Reality." He will talk about the fundamentals of Islam and how the Muslim mind works with a comparison to the general perception of Islam in the West. The 9:30 a.m. lecture will be held at the Good Shepherd Church, 116 Hwy 92 SW in Clearbrook.
NELL lectures are open to the public; a free-will offering is accepted for refreshments.
Italian Opera Night Gala at 6 p.m. Ruttger’s Birchmont Lodge. Tickets sold in advance at 586-2536 or email@example.com.
- Opera Encore HD will present is last concert of the season with Lehar’s "The Merry Widow" from the Semperoper Dresden opera house. For the latest information about the opera and to get on the email list, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for children at the door, Bemidji Theater.
- Italian Opera Night Gala at 6 p.m. Ruttger’s Birchmont Lodge. Tickets sold in advance at 586-2536 or fgallagher@ paulbunyan.net.
- The Bemidji Chorale will hold their 34th Annual Spring Concert at 7 p.m. on May 19 in the Beaux Arts Ballroom on the campus of Bemidji State University. This year’s concert, "People, Places and Things" is a variety of musical literature devoted to peace, acceptance and joy. This year’s concert will feature Tommy Saxton. An ice cream social will follow the concert and a free will offering will be accepted to help support the chorale.
The event is funded in whole or in part by a Region 2 Arts Council Grant through an appropriation by the Minnesota Legislature and the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund passed by Minnesota voters in 2008.
- Grand Harmony Men’s Quartet will be appearing in concert at 3 p.m. at the Fosston Arts Center, 403 North Foss Ave. Suggested donation is $5.
A listing of the May exhibits may be accessed at bcac.wordpress.com.