Pioneer Previews: Hunter to feature classical pieces during noon concert
Bemidji Area Church Musicians will present pianist Abe Hunter at noon, Wednesday, June 29, at First Lutheran Church, 900 Bemidji Ave. Hunter will play a Beethoven and Chopin program. A free will offering will be accepted in support of the music scholarships given each year. A luncheon will be available at the end of the concert for a nominal cost.
"Navigating the Aftermath: The Iraqi and American Reconciliation Project," will run from July 1-14 at the Fleur de Lis Gallery, Wild Rose Theater, 501 Bemidji Ave. Co-sponsored by Bemidji Community Arts Center and Saarens Productions, this traveling art exhibit explores Iraq's present and future. More information to follow.
Minnesota Folklore Theater will present the return of "An Evening with Patsy Cline" for eight performances. A popular musical that is returning by popular demand will begin at 7:30 p.m. July 7-10 and July 11-14, with a 3 p.m. matinee Sunday, July 10, Minnesota Folklore Theater, 6 Broadway, Akeley. Call 218-652-2666 for reservations.
June Art Exhibits will be dismantled within the next couple of days.
- Bad Cat Creations Gallery and Gifts, 315 Irvine Ave. N.W., has on display "The Nature of Things," a collection of pieces from artists who have their own twist on the flora and fauna around us.
- Beltrami County History Center, 130 Minnesota Ave. S.W., has photography by Glenn Ferguson is on display until July 31. The center is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Saturday.
- Bemidji Community Art Center, 426 Bemidji Ave., June display is "Power & Grace" by wildlife and landscape artist Rock Bakke. The center and Shop 426 are open from noon-4 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
- Bemidji Public Library Art Wall, 509 America Ave. N.W., has on display an exhibit of paintings by members of Hope House. The library is open Monday-Saturday. This activity is funded, in part, by a Region 2 Arts Council Grant through an appropriation by the Minnesota State Legislature Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund passed by Minnesota voters on Nov. 4, 2008.
- Brigid's Cross Irish Pub and Restaurant, 317 Beltrami Ave. N.W., welcomes Erja Wiltse and her impressions of life in Ireland done in acrylics. The gallery is located in the back restaurant section and the pub is open seven days a week.
- Cabin Coffeehouse and Café, 214 Third St. N.W., June artists are employees Jake Baggenstoss, Dee Blackowl and Barbra Huewe and their renderings in charcoal, photography and acrylic paintings. The Cabin is open seven days a week.
- Dunn Bros Coffee, 501 Paul Bunyan Dr. S., welcomes photographer Pat Rogness and her work of nature, fascinating people and the unique architecture of Mexico and Italy. Dunn Bros is open seven days a week.
- Fleur de Lis Gallery, 501 Bemidji Ave., is open from 2-6 p.m. Wednesday-Friday and noon-4 p.m. Saturday. The exhibit is work by local, regional and national artists in exhibit rotations.
- Gallery North, 502 Third St. N.W., showcase artist of the month is Wanda Odegard and her new collection of bronze jewelry. The featured gallery artist of the month is Colleen Hilts, a quilter and woodcarver. For more information about both artists and the gallery see email@example.com.
- Neilson Place, 1000 Anne St. N.W., continues its exhibit of Joe Rossi's nature photography, "Recent Works" and Terry Honstead's collection of glass bead necklaces and earrings and hair pieces in the Bistro in Neilson Place through June.
- Talley Gallery, Room 212 in the Education Arts Building, has the Bemidji State University visual arts faculty annual show until Sept. 14. Featured this year are Butch Holden (ceramics), Natalia Himmirska (painting), Jason Clark (printmaking), Dennis Peterson (silverpoint) and Steve Sundahl (sculpture). For hours, call 755-3708.
- Wild Hare Bistro and Coffeehouse, 523 Minnesota Ave. N.W., welcomes photographer John LaTourelle and his work using a variety of techniques and lenses to show a mix of urban lifestyle and the color and beauty of Northern Minnesota.
- Headwaters School of Music and the Arts, 519 Minnesota Ave. N.W., has on display works of watercolor artist Judy Selby.
- Tutto Bene, 300 Beltrami Ave. N.W., a restaurant and art gallery, has an ongoing display of artwork The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner and is closed Sunday.
- The Tourist Information Center, 300 Bemidji Ave. by the statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe, has a map and information on the pieces included in the Bemidji Sculpture Walk.
- Pub Trivia at Brigid's Cross Irish Pub, Mondays at 7:30. Free to play.
- Open stage at 7:30 p.m. third Wednesdays: For writers, poets and dreamers with Patty Byers at Brigid's Cross Irish Pub.
- Pelican Railroad performs at Backyard BBQ Wednesdays and Jammers on Thursdays.
- Open Stage at 8 p.m. Thursdays for performing artists and writers, Brigid's Cross.
- Northern Artist Association meets at 12:30 p.m. the third Monday of the month at the Eagles Club, 1270 Nielson Ave. SE. The public is invited to attend. For details, call 759-2952.
- Headwaters Basketmakers Guild meets on third Saturday of the month; contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Announcements of arts and entertainment events may be sent to the Bemidji Pioneer, P.O. Box 455, Bemidji, MN 56619-0455 or e-mailed to email@example.com