Pioneer Previews: Church Musicians to present piano concert
Bemidji Area Church Musicians will present Joe Henry on the piano and organ at noon today at the Church of St. Philip, 702 Beltrami Ave. N.W.
A free will offering will be accepted in support of the music scholarships given each year. A luncheon will be served following the concert for a nominal cost.
A Writers' Group will have a formation meeting at 9 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 13, in the Bemidji Public Library meeting room. This meeting will determine if there is enough interest to begin an informal writers' discussion group. The formation meeting will discuss a time and schedule for meetings, a contact list, conveners for each meeting, agenda for meetings, how to organize meetings to accommodate those who wish to read and share, ideas for other workshops and/or formation of sub-groups (poetry, short story, novel, etc.).
"Every Little Crook and Nanny," a two act comedy about nice old ladies and a bank heist, will be performed at 7 p.m., Thursday-Saturday, Aug, 11-13 and at 3 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 14, at the Fosston Community Theater. Tickets are available at Generations Clothing (435-1676) (call for location) and at the door: $8 for adults and $5 for children 12 and younger.
The final performances of the Paul Bunyan Playhouse Summer Season's biggest draw, "The Full Monty," are this week at 8 p.m. today-Saturday, Aug. 10-13. What do out-of-work steel workers in Pittsburgh do to get badly needed money - why they would go the full monty, of course. At least that's how these six men seek to deal with their financial, marital and personal problems. The play deals with the "crazy" idea of getting a group of semi-talented, shy, scared and embarrassed men to be brave enough to face an audience (no pun intended) for a contest in which the prize money would signal a solution to many of their problems. The music is engaging and some of the tunes are soulful. Tickets are $25 for adults, $15 for students and $20 for groups of 10 or more. Call the box office at 751-7270 for tickets or on-line at paulbunyanplayhouse.com. This activity is funded in whole or in part by a Region 2 Arts Council grant through an appropriation by the Minnesota State Legislature Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund passed by Minnesota voters on Nov. 4, 2008.
Neil Simon comedy
A charming, funny and poignant coming-of-age story opens at the Long Lake Theater in Hubbard with 3 p.m. Wednesday, matinees today, Aug. 17 and 24 and 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday until Aug. 27. "Brighton Beach Memoirs" by Neil Simon is a semi-autobiographical play about the coming of age in Brighton Beach (Brooklyn), N.Y. of Eugene Morris Jerome. Set in the late 1930s, Eugene, a young teen, fantasizes about being a shortstop for the New York Yankees and also of the girl of his dreams. Tickets are $16 for adults and are available by calling 218-732-0099 or visiting www.longlaketheater.com.
- Brothers Burn Mountain at 9 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 13 at Brigid's Cross Irish Pub and Restaurant, 317 Beltrami Ave. NW.
- The Pinetones, 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 14, Lake Bemidji State Park Amphitheater.
Region 2 grants
The deadline for the Region 2 Art Council Arts and Cultural Heritage Grants is Aug. 16. This grant is open to all art disciplines, any non-profit organization, school (including community education offices) and units of government. These grants support three key areas: arts activities and arts access, arts education and cultural heritage. Individual artists may apply for grants up to $3,000 and organizations can apply for grants up to $6,000. Call 751-5447 or toll free 1-800-275-5447 or email email@example.com to discuss project. Region 2 encompasses Beltrami, Clearwater, Hubbard, Lake of the Woods and Mahnomen counties and applicant must be a resident of a county to apply.
- Bead Mosaic workshop from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 10, at the Heartwoods Healing Center, 5307 Bemidji Ave. N. Professional artist, Joan Babcock will instruct students who would like to learn how to use seed beads, stones crystals and other small elements to make miniature mosaic pendants. Students will explore design, layout, adhering beads and elements, grouting and coloring techniques. All skill levels are welcome. A materials fee of $25 is due on the day of the workshop in addition to the fee of $25 and the class is limited to 12 people. To register, send a $46 check to Region 2 Arts Council, 426 Bemidji Ave. by Friday, Sept. 2. There will be no refunds unless the workshop is canceled.
- Cavandoli Macrame workshop from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 11 at the Heartwoods Healing Center, 5307 Bemidji Ave. N. Professional artist, Joan Babcock will be teaching how to use the technique of Cavandoli Knotting to make a pendant. This workshop is open to students with a basic knowledge of macramé and who want to further their skills. A materials fee of $30 is due on the day of the workshop in addition to the fee and the class is limited to 12 people. To register, send a $46 check to Region 2 Arts Council, 426 Bemidji Ave. by Friday, Sept. 2. A check for $92 is for required to register for both classes. There will be no refunds unless the workshop is canceled.
- Local fiber artist Dawn Standera will offer a free introduction to Cavandoli Knotting class at 4:30 p.m., Wed. Aug. 31 at the same location.
Announcements of arts and entertainment events may be sent to the Bemidji Pioneer, P.O. Box 455, Bemidji, MN 56619-0455 or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org