Paul Ericsson: Summer far from over for the library
The summer is far from over and the Bemidji Public Library has many things to offer to you to make the rest of the summer an enjoyable time.
The Bemidji Public Library Board is offering great buys in great books at its annual Book Sale. The Library Book Sale will be from 10 AM to 6 PM on Wednesday, August 7 and Thursday August 8 and will be held at the Bemidji Guard Armory, located at 1430 23rd Street NW. The book sale prices are the best buy in town, with children's books going for 50 cents, paperbacks for 75 cents, and $1 for hard-cover books. On Tuesday evening August 6, from 4 pm to 7 pm, the members of the Friends of the Library are able to attend an early-bird sale. This will also be an opportunity for non-members to join the Friends and attend the early-bird event. Remember that the affordable membership fee to the Friends will support this organization's work with the Book-For-Babies program, underwriting the Library's summer reading program, and many other literacy programs in the community. Following the sale, community groups may take remainders free-of-charge on Friday morning August 9, from 9:00 --EMDASH-- 10:00.
The children's summer reading program "Dig Into Reading" wrapped up on Saturday August 3. And what a great summer it has been --EMDASH-- with children reporting record setting numbers of minutes spent reading. Children and teens should come by the Library no later than Saturday August 17 to pick up their incentive prizes.
"The Gift of Eagles" a Geocaching Quest co-sponsored by the Bemidji Public Library and Lake Bemidji State Park continues to run through the entire summer out at the Park. If you are not familiar with how to use a G.P.S. device, there are introductory sessions available at the State Park and this Geocaching Quest is a great way to practice your skills. For those that do know how to use a G.P.S., then this Quest is a fun way to explore the Lake Bemidji State Park. Free passes to the State Park are available at the Library and G.P.S. devices are available for loan at the State Park.
During August, the Bemidji Public Library Art Wall will feature "Missing Pants", a children's picture book written and illustrated by 6 year-old Bemidji resident Vivi Allosso. The story is one that Vivi invented when she was just three years old, about an elephant who was her favorite stuffed animal. Vivi has been perfecting "Missing Pants" ever since that time. In January, as a homeschool project, Vivi made the story come to life with wonderful colored-pencil illustrations outlined in black ink. The story was then submitted to Pioneer Public TV in Fargo for the "PBS Kids Go! Writer's Contest". In May, Vivi was informed she had won 1st place in the Kindergarten section of the local contest, and that her book was being entered in the national contest, and in July Vivi discovered she'd taken the first prize in the national contest.
In addition to all of these free special events, our schedule of regular events includes:
• Weekly storytime events for 3-5 year olds on Tuesday's, Wednesday's and Saturday's at 10:30 a.m. with the weekly lapsit programs for 2 year olds at 10:30 on Thursdays.
• The book for our August book discussion series will be the New York Times bestselling book "Lean In" by Sheryl Sandberg. Our discussion sessions will be Monday August 5 at 12:00 noon, and Tuesday evening August 6 at 7:00 p.m. Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg examines why women's progress in achieving leadership roles has stalled, explains the root causes, and offers compelling, commonsense solutions that can empower women to achieve their full potential.
• The book to read in August that we will discuss in September is "Olive Kitteridge" written by Elizabeth Strout.
• The next session our monthly B.A.R.C. reading and literacy program for school age children is on Monday August 19 from 10:30 --EMDASH-- 12:00 noon. Please call 751-3963 to make a reservation. Parent permission form required.
• Senior Surf computer training classes continue on Tuesday August 6 and August 20 from 8:00 --EMDASH-- 10:00 a.m. Advance registration 751-3963 required.
We hope to see you often in the Library during the summer of 2013, checking out books for reading, movies for entertainment, and attending many of these free-of-charge wonderful events.