Pairings set for NCAA men's hockey regionals
The University of North Dakota men's hockey team is coming back to St. Paul next weekend. The Sioux will take on Western Michigan at 12:30 p.m. Saturday in the Xcel Energy Center in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Regional host Minnesota will take on Boston University in the other game in the West Regional.
The matchup against the Broncos will feature two teams who won their conference tournaments and are on top of their games. UND has won seven straight and beat Denver to win the Western Collegiate Hockey Association title in the Xcel Energy Center on Saturday night.
Western Michigan has won five in a row and beat Michigan 3-2 on Saturday night in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association championship in Joe Louis Arena.
Here are the pairings for the four regionals:
(1) North Dakota vs. (4) Western Michigan, 12:30 p.m., Saturday
(2) Minnesota vs. (3) Boston University, 4 p.m., Saturday
(1) Boston College vs. (4) Air Force, 3 p.m., Saturday
(2) Minnesota-Duluth vs. (3) Maine, 6:30 p.m., Saturday
Green Bay, Wis.
(1) Michigan vs. (4) Cornell, 8 p.m., Friday
(2) Ferris State vs. (3) Denver, 4:30 p.m., Friday
(1) Union vs. (4) Michigan State, 2 p.m., Friday
(2) Miami vs. (3) UMass-Lowell, 5:30 p.m., Friday