Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Newport man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
News Bemidji,Minnesota 56619 http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/sites/all/themes/bemidjipioneer_theme/images/social_default_image.png
Bemidji Pioneer
Newport man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning
Bemidji Minnesota P.O. Box 455 56619

NEWPORT — Authorities believe accidental carbon monoxide poisoning is what killed a man who was working on a gas engine in his garage in the Twin Cities suburb of Newport.

Emergency crews were called Friday afternoon to the garage where 60-year-old Robin J. Hiley was found not breathing. A gas-powered stump grinder was running in the garage when emergency crews arrived at about 4:30 p.m., according to the police report.

Police officers, and later paramedics, attempted CPR on Hiley, but they could not revive him and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police Chief Curt Montgomery said it’s believed Hiley died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The garage doors were closed while the engine was running.

“It wasn’t intentional; it just happened,” Montgomery said.

Hiley’s black labrador dog Jack also was found unresponsive in the garage, police said. The dog was taken to the University of Minnesota veterinary hospital for emergency care but later died.

The Ramsey County medical examiner’s office is handling the autopsy.

Forum News Service
The Forum Communications News Service is the premier news wire service covering the Upper Midwest, stretching from the oilfields of western North Dakota to the plains of South Dakota and to the shores of eastern Minnesota. For more information about the services we offer or to discuss content subscriptions, please contact us.
Advertisement
randomness