Icy roads prompt warning to motorists in Bemidji area, northwest Minnesota
BEMIDJI - The Minnesota Department of Transportation issued an advisory to travelers in northwest Minnesota due to icy roads.
In a news release, travelers are urges to be "extremely cautious" today due to light freezing rain and snow.
Motorists should remember to:
- Drive slowly on bridges, overpasses and tunnels.
- Use a safe speed for winter driving conditions, regardless of the posted speed limit.
- Keep a safe stopping distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- Keep both hands on the steering wheel, eyes on the road and attention on your driving.
- Give the snowplow operators plenty of room to work.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone.
For updated information on road conditions, visit www.511mn.org or call 511.