First Friday Art Walk scheduled
E The Bemidji Community Art Center will host its First Friday Art Walk opening reception featuring the 10th annual High School Invitational, from 4-6 p.m. Friday, April 2, at 426 Bemidji Ave. N. The exhibit will showcase work by area high school students from the Bemidji High School, Lumberjack School, Trek North and Cass Lake-Bena High School. Admission to the BCAC is free. For details, call 444-7570, visit bcac.wordpress.com or email email@example.com.
- Bad Cat Creations Gallery and Gifts will host an opening reception for featured "green" artist Jane Marks-Hastig from 4-6 p.m. Friday at 315 Irvine Ave. N.W. Marks-Hastig will showcase unique, fun and functional art using reclaimed glass and up-cycled items and will be on hand to demonstrate ways to reuse discarded items in order to given them new life during the opening reception. To further Earth Day, Bad Cat Creations will dedicate the entire month of April to all "green" artists and offer discounts to shoppers who bring in a reusable shopping bag. Bad Cat Creations primarily showcases the work of local artists and features jewelry, ceramics and more. For details, call 444-9225.
- Beltrami County Historical Society, in conjunction with Gallery North, presents the "Birds of a Feather" exhibit as part of the First Friday Art Walk. An opening reception will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday at the Beltrami County History Center, located at 130 Minnesota Ave. S.W. Refreshments will be served and admission is free. The History Center is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday. For details, call 444-3376 or visit beltramihistory.org.
- The Bemidji Public Library will host an opening reception for Marion Caroline and her exhibit "Bemidji Ecliptic" from 3-5 p.m. Friday, at 509 America Ave. N.W. Caroline's artwork includes watercolors, acrylics, oils and paintings on feathers. She is best known for her equine art. For details, call Paul Simonson at 444-7886.
- Brigid's Cross Irish Pub will host its First Friday Art Walk opening reception for featured artist Jake Anderson from 5-7 p.m. Friday, at 317 Beltrami Ave. N.W. Anderson has a unique approach to creating powerful imaging in both large and small formats through a technique termed "spray paint art." Brigid's Cross is open at noon Monday through Saturday, serving lunch, dinner, pub grub, import tap beers, wines and spirits. For details, call 444-0567.
- Dunn Bros Coffee will host its First Friday Art Walk opening reception for featured artist Jess Watnemo Sorey and her exhibit "Vision Escapes" from 5-7 p.m. Friday, at 501 Paul Bunyan Drive S. Storey's collection of paintings and photographs is inspired by her fascination with nature and its cycles of life. Dunn Bros is located at 501 Paul Bunyan Dr. S. For details, call 444-5252 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gallery North will host its First Friday Art Walk opening reception from 2-5 p.m. Friday, at 502 Third St. N.W. The April Showcase will feature "Budding Artists" a display of young children's artwork from area daycare providers participating in the Bemidji Early Childhood Initiative "Art in Childcare Grant."
Gallery North will also offer a watercolor class, "Fabulous Florals," at 1 p.m. Saturday, April 10, at 502 Third St. N.W. Participants will create a loose style floral of their choice while exploring a variety of watercolor backgrounds. All materials are provided.. The class fee is $40 with prepaid registration or $45 on the day of the class. The class is limited to 10 students. For details or to register, call 751-7741.
For information on artists or to become a member of Gallery North, call 444-9813 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Glazed and Amused Paint Your Own Pottery Studio located at 311 Third St. Bemidji. Check out the window display featuring beautiful ceramic pieces painted by the customers. Walk-in painters are always welcome. Glazed and Amused is open from noon-9 p.m. Wednesday-Friday; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday and noon-5 p.m. Sunday. For more information call 333-6880 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Headwaters Unitarian Universalist Fellowship will feature the art works of Pat Black. She is a fiber artist who has been included in juried exhibitions and her work is in private and public collections. Her productions include quilts, small wall hangings. For details, call 751-9654. Headwaters Unitarian Universalist Fellowship is located at 522 America Ave. N.W.
- Mask and Rose Women's Theater Collective and the Northwoods Folk Collective will host its First Friday Coffeehouse at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Wild Rose Theater, 501 Bemidji Ave. N.W. Performer signup begins at 6:30 p.m. The cost is $2 per person or $5 for a family. Also showing in the Fleur di Lis Gallery is "Mother Art" by Nina Lubarski. This exhibit, featuring female artists from the region, opens as a part of the Women's History Month celebration, which will also include the Sister Song Celebration March 27. For details on upcoming events, showing artwork, or to be a part of the staged readings or to showcase music, contact Cate Belleveau at email@example.com.
- The North Country Health Services Art Committee will host artist Kate Lalone and her exhibit, "Visions of Life," as part of the First Friday Art Walk, at Neilson Place, located at 1000 Anne St. N.W. in Bemidji. Lalone, Lilly's eye photo artist, challenges people to view perspectives of life through all senses in the photo exhibit, which is dedicated to her father and granddaughter. Her work is for sale and a price list will be provided at the reception desk. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wild Hare Bistro and Coffee House will present new works by Cyrus Swann April 2-28. An opening reception will be held from 3-5 p.m. Friday at 523 Minnesota Ave. N.W. Swann is a ceramicist whose work include a wide range of functional and experimental ceramic works, including bowls, bottles, groupings, sculpture and installations. His well crafted pottery is intended for daily use and will last a lifetime. Wild Hare also features its own culinary artists at the First Friday Wine Bar from 5-9 p.m. Friday with a new menu every month and a wine and beer list. For details, call 444-JAVA.