Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Fire chief’s house catches fire

Email

GLYNDON - When someone’s house catches on fire, it’s important to get the fire chief on the phone right away. It’s especially important when the house happens to be owned by the fire chief.

Advertisement

That’s what happened to Glyndon Fire Chief Bob Cuchna, who was at work at the Fargo fire department about 9:30 a.m. Thursday when he heard about the fire at his house in rural Clay County. Cuchna is both a captain for the full-time Fargo Fire Department and chief of Glyndon’s volunteer unit.

The fire was reported by Cuchna’s wife. Cuchna said the cause of the fire appeared to be the water heater, which one of his children reported having stopped working while taking a shower. He said the electrical breaker was discovered to have been off, and it appeared that there might have been a short in the electrical circuit.

Cuchna said the damage would have been far greater had it not been for the smoke alarms installed in the basement and throughout the home.

“They’re your first line of defense, and even then it (a fire) moves fast through your home,” he said.

The house will be uninhabitable for some time.

Advertisement
Forum News Service
The Forum Communications News Service is the premier news wire service covering the Upper Midwest, stretching from the oilfields of western North Dakota to the plains of South Dakota and to the shores of eastern Minnesota. For more information about the services we offer or to discuss content subscriptions, please contact us.
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness