Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Ex CEO of Blue Cross died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Bemidji, 56619
Bemidji Pioneer
(218) 333-9819 customer support
Bemidji Minnesota P.O. Box 455 56619

The state medical examiner's office has determined carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of death for former Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota president Michael Unhjem, Fargo police stated in a news release.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Unhjem, 57, was found dead Monday in his south Fargo home at 3210 40th Ave. S., after Fargo police were dispatched there for a welfare check at 2:05 p.m.

No foul play is suspected, according to the release from Sgt. Mark Lykken.

Unhjem served in major lead­er­ship positions at BCBS for 23 years before his dismissal in 2009 during a public uproar over lavish spend­ing practices.

He was known for his in­volve­ment in local arts and served on a number of community boards. He had served as board chairman of the United Way of Cass-Clay.

Most recently, Unhjem launched a new consulting company, Unhjem & Associates LLC. He operated the business from his home, according to a recent article The Forum did on Unhjem's new business.

Advertisement
Pioneer staff reports
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness