BSU student appointed to MnSCU chancellor search committee
Andrew Spaeth, a Bemidji State University graduate, has a big job ahead of him.
As president of the Minnesota State University Student Association, Spaeth will serve on the search advisory committee tasked to find a replacement for Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Chancellor James H. McCormick, who plans to retire next year.
Spaeth was co-student body president at Bemidji State University during the 2009-10 school year.
The Search Committee includes 16 representatives from the community at large, businesses, students, legislators, trustees, state college and university presidents and the system's bargaining units.
David Olson, a former trustee and immediate past board chair of the MnSCU, was appointed earlier to lead the search committee.
Committee members are:
- Travis Johnson, president of the Minnesota State College Student Association.
- Spaeth, president of the Minnesota State University Student Association.
- Don Larsson, president of the Inter Faculty Organization, which represents faculty at the system's seven state universities.
- Greg Mulcahy, president of the Minnesota State College Faculty, which represents faculty at the system's 25 community and technical colleges.
- Shahzad Ahmad, past president of the Minnesota State University Association of Administrative and Service Faculty, which represents administrative and service faculty.
- Clarence Hightower, trustee and vice chair of the board and chair of the board's Human Resources Committee.
- Christine Rice, trustee and chair of the board's Academic and Student Affairs Committee;
- Kevin Kopischke, president of Alexandria Technical and Community College.
- Edna Mora Szymanski, president of Minnesota State University Moorhead.
- state Rep. Carlos Mariani, DFL-St. Paul, who is chair of the House K-12 Education Policy and Oversight Committee.
- state Sen. Claire Robling, R-Jordan, ranking minority member of the Senate Higher Education Committee.
- Sharon Sayles Belton, vice president, community relations and government affairs for Thomson Reuters and former mayor of Minneapolis.
- Yvonne Cheung Ho, president and CEO of the Metropolitan Economic Development Association.
- Mark Chronister, board chair, St. Catherine University and board chair of the Minneapolis Foundation.
- Paula Prahl, senior vice president of communications, public affairs and corporate responsibility, Best Buy Co., Inc.
McCormick, who has been chancellor since 2001, is the third chancellor since the system was created in 1995.
The Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system comprises 32 state universities and community and technical colleges in Minnesota. The system serves about 260,000 students per year in credit-based courses and an additional 164,000 students in noncredit courses.