January 9, 2012
Independent School District No. 32, Blackduck
6:30 P.M. High School Media Center
Election of: Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Treasurer, Clerk and Directors
Agenda for Regular Board Meeting January 9, 2012
Following Reorganizational Meeting
I. Call to Order
II. Agenda Changes
III. Approval of Minutes
IV. Chairperson's Announcements
A. Good Things Happening
1. The Blackduck/Cass Lake-Bena Bears ran a very successful Big Bear Tournament Dec. 16-17. This is one of the largest individual invitational wrestling tournaments in Minnesota.
2. There are three speech squads -- each with two captains plus 16 members!
The 2011 speech captains are: Mathew Jedlicka, Morgan Jung and Andre Bell, Emily Biberg, Katie O'Rourke and Lynn Masino! The first Varsity Tournament is on Jan. 21 and Blackduck hosts the first Junior High Tournament on Feb. 6. Have a great year!
3. There will an elementary wresting tournament on Jan. 28 at 10 a.m. at Blackduck School.
4. Alicia Christianson (mother to Tyler Carmack and Emily Christianson) left several wreaths for staff. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness.
5. The soils team placed third at Ag Activities day in Crookston. Cindy Veazey, Paul Eckstrom and Garret Thiesen were part of the team. They received a nice plaque for their efforts. Also Nathan Affield placed eighth as an individual out of approximately 90 General Livestock Judgers. This is a remarkable achievement for a first time 8th grade judger.
B. Open Comments from General Participation
V. Treasurer's Report (Attachment A)
VI. Meeting Agenda
A. Consent Agenda
1. Approve December bills (Attachment B)
2. Approve the following open enrollments for the 2011/12 school year.
B. Items for Individual Action
1. Committee Appointments: (2011, listed in parentheses)
A. Community Education Representative (CN)
B. B.R.I.C. Representative (CN)
C. Meet and Confer Representative ( RL, SS, GM)
D. Vocational Governing Board Representative (SS)
E. Negotiation Committee (GM, RL, CN)
F. Minnesota High School League:
Governing Board (GM)
School Representative (BD)
Boys Sports (TR)
Girls Sports (TR)
G. MSBA Legislative Liaison (RL)
2. Consider hiring a JOM Tutor for two hours a day.
3. Consider stopping at Amanda Lahr and Sandy Scheneker's Daycare to pick up children. This is a licensed daycare. (Attachment C)
4. Consider hiring Tom George as the Jr. High Wrestling Coach at year one, Level III for $1,759.
5. Consider revising Policy Number 145, School Board Meetings and Policy 146, Annual Organizational Meetings. (Attachment D)
C. Items for Discussion
1. Would a board member wish to be on the calendar committee?
2. Budget discussion
3. There are two applications for the superintendent's position.
4. Is the board still interested in the MSBA workshop with Sandy Gunlock for interviewing for superintendent?
A. Principals' Reports (Attachment E)
B. Enrollment Reports (Attachment F)
C. Food Service Report (Attachment G)
A. The board received a thank you note from Dale Compton for the plant.,(Attachment H)
IX. Future Meetings
A. next board meeting Feb. 13, 2012.
B. Conferences are coming up on the Feb. 27. They will start at 10 a.m. and go until 7 p.m. We will also have the Book Fair at this time.
B. The MSBA Leadership Conference is in Minneapolis on Jan. 11-13.