Agenda for Regular Board Meeting
December 12, 2011
High School Media Center
I. Call to Order - Pledge
II. Agenda Changes
III. Approval of Minutes
IV. Chairperson's Announcements
A. Good Things Happening
1. Good luck to our Basketball players and our wrestling team!
The fifth grade class had another successful overnight trip to Deep Portage. They had 49 students out of 51 fifth graders attend. The students were well behaved and were once again given many compliments by the Deep Portage staff. The fifth graders came back with a real appreciation for the outdoors and knowledge about our living Earth. The trip's activities tie in very well with 5th grade Science and Social Studies units.
3. Congratulation to the girl's and boy's basketball teams for getting their first wins of the season. The girls beat Northland Remer on November 29th and the boys beat Northome/Kelliher on December 2nd.
4. We had 20 students participate in the first Drakes Against Destructive Behavior night after Friday's doubleheader basketball games. They played ping pong, badminton, board games, foosball and more.
5. A record number of students signed up for the speech team this year - it promises to be a very good season and there are many new faces on the team!
6. Thank you to NEI Bottling for the $250 towards a spring bullying project.
7. Students in Mrs. Liapis, Mrs. McKean and Ms. Carlson's classes will be caroling and bringing good cheer to the Good Samaritan Nursing Home residents in December.
8. Blackduck High school was awarded a $6,500 grant from NASA to start a robotics team that will compete in the 2012 FIRST Robotics Competition. Congratulations!
9. Consider advertising for a Jr. High Wrestling Coach for the 2011/12 school year.
10. Consider advertising for a Superintendent.
B. Open Comments from General Participation
V. Treasurer's Report (Attachment A)
VI. Meeting Agenda
A. Consent Agenda
1. Approve November bills (Attachment B)
2. Approve the following board agreements & open enrollments for the 2011/12 school year.
B. Items for Individual Action
1. Consider accepting this year's audit.
2. Consider Accepting Policies 130 and 147 as revised at the 11/21/11 Board Meeting. (Attachment C)
3. There will be a Truth in Taxation discussion.
4. Consider certifying the 2011/2012 levy.
5. Accept the recommendations from the December 12, 2011, Impact Aid Meeting
A. Continue to promote after school study clubs
B. Continue to encourage Native American participation in all areas of the curriculum and extra-curriculum areas
C. At the elementary level continue to promote Native American lessons
D. Look into programs to help Native Americans graduate
E. Have our Title VII person tutor during the day when time permits
F. Have an elementary tutor in math and reading for the Native American students
6. Consider accepting the revision of Policy 150. (Attachment D)
7. Consider increasing the two part time speech coaches to full time. There are 60 students signed up for speech.
B. Items for Discussion
1. MSBA Conference.
2. Phy. Ed. position for next year.
A. Principals' Reports (Attachment E)
B. Enrollment Reports (Attachment F)
C. Food Service Report (Attachment G)
IX. Future Meetings
1. Our next Board Meeting is on the 9th of January.