Blackduck School Board agenda
Agenda for Regular Board Meeting
Agenda for Regular Board Meeting
April 25, 2011
High School Media Center
I. Call to Order - Pledge
II. Agenda Changes
III. Approval of Minutes
IV. Chairperson's Announcements
A. Good Things Happening
1. Parent volunteer Jolene Cornell helped make stations for the SMART room this month. The theme was Camp Read a Lot. It went along with the AR theme. She made a very nice fishing pond, binoculars and a toadstool checker game made out of recycled material that she had at home. She has a lot of creative energy that she uses to help our school.
2. Blackduck School received a $1,000 Ag Scholarship from the lIse Family.
3. The ninth grade world history classes went to see the King Tut exhibit at the Science Museum on March 21.
4. Michael Dexter was named to the All Region Team in Knowledge Bowl and Shane Fenske received honorable mention.
5. 100 percent of the BHS Creative Writing Class received publication credit this year. Alayna Nestberg and Alex Michalek were each published in two high school anthologies, while Christa Hanson, Josh O'Brien, Madison Stelton, and Kami Imdieke were each published in one.
6. STATE SPEECH, April 14-16 at Chanhassen! The Drakes Speakers were the Section 7A Champions! Thirty-one speakers advanced to finals at McGregor on April 1st and the following speakers will be representing Blackduck and Section 7 A at the State Tournament: Shannon Budde, Alex Howard, Sasha Pfannenstein, Connor Cease, Chris O'Reilly, Tyler Dobmeier, Nick Liapis, Morgan Jung, Alex Schuman, Brandon Beck, Mariah Bremer, Maile Olson, Kate Olafson, Katie O'Rourke and Michaela Holmgren.
7. The Northwoods Conference for girls' basketball announced its All-Conference team for 2010-2011. Jamie Magoon and Mollie Exner received All-Conference honors, and Tatum Mistic received Honorable Mention honors. Congratulations to all three for these awards.
8. Mollie Exner was a member of North Central All Star Teams that played games on April 10. Mollie represented Blackduck, very well.
9. A group of eighth and ninth grade girls went to Fosston and played in a Pacesetters basketball tournament on April 9th. The group played very well against strong teams. Very special thanks to Jenna McKean and Cody Gross for all their help coaching.
10. $2,000 was raised at the Area Alumni Men's Basketball Tournament Fundraiser event held at Blackduck High School in April. This money was presented to the Boys Basketball team for future camps and tournaments for them to attend. Local businesses and sponsors helped make this event a success. This tournament was organized by Jenna McKean and Cody Gross.
11. Erin Haws and Lynn Masino earned highest ratings at the section art show in East Grand Forks.
B. Open Comments from General Participation
V. Treasurer's Report (Attachment A)
VI. Meeting Agenda
A. Consent Agenda
1. Approve March bills (Attachment B)
2. Approve the following Board Agreements for the 2010/11 school year. From Bemidji to Blackduck: Jonathon Parker, Dorothy Renollette. From Blackduck to Bemidji: Kyanlee Ries, Dezmond Kingbird. From Blackduck to Cass Lake: Christopher Miettinen, Angelina Fisher. From Blackduck to MNV A: Emine Sazil, Deven Sazil. Approve the following Open Enrollments for the 2010/11 school year. From Grand Rapids to Blackduck: Kaitlyn Cope, Emma Cope. From Red Lake to Blackduck: Cody Johnson.
Approve the following Open Enrollments for the 2011-12 school year. From Blackduck to MNVA: Emine Sazil, Deven Sazil.
B. Items for Individual Action
1. Consider hiring Cody Gross as Junior High Baseball Coach for the 2010-11 school year at Level 4, third year, $1,455.
2. Consider the procedure for replacing a board member.
3. Consider accepting Mark Sparby's resignation from the Blackduck School Board effective April 25, 2011.
4. Consider accepting the Notice of Desire to Negotiate from the AFSCME Union. (Attachment C)
5. Consider accepting a resolution to terminate one elementary teacher at the end of the 2010-11 school year.
6. Consider hiring Nancy Sydow, as a Title One MCA Preparation Para. The cost to the district is $10.40 an hour.
7. Consider accepting Susan Springer's resignation as a para for the Early Childhood Family Education Program. This is effective at the end of the 2010-2011 school year. (Attachment D)
8. Consider advertising for the 2011-12 Elementary Phy. Ed. position. This is a one year position
9. Consider accepting the bid to replace Blackduck Public Schools roof in the summer of 2011.
10. Consider accepting the first Reading of policy 1226 Restrictive Procedures For Children With Disabilities. (Attachment E)
11. Consider purchasing boys basketball uniforms at a cost of $3,100.
12. Consider advertising for summer custodial help.
13. Consider advertising for a full time Elementary SPED Para.
14. Consider hiring Richard Olhava as Asst. Football Coach for the 2011-12 school year at Level II, Year 1, $2,326.
15. Consider hiring Tom Liapis as Asst. Football Coach for the 2011-12 school year at Level II, Years 9+, $3,193.
C. Items for Discussion
l. The Blackduck Development Corporation has extended an invitation to the Blackduck School Board to become a member of their organization.
2. Consider driving buses into neighboring districts.
3.The Blackduck Site Base Team would like to address the teacher request process. (Attachment F)
4. The meeting will be closed for data privacy reasons.
A. Principals' Reports (Attachment G)
B. Enrollment Reports (Attachment H)
C. Food Service Report (Attachment I)
IX. Future Meetings
1. Our next Board Meeting is on the 9th of May.