Bemidji Fire Department annual report to be presented
The annual report of the Bemidji Fire Department will be presented Monday during the Bemidji City Council.
Fire Chief Dave Hoefer will present the report during the council's regular meeting at 7 p.m. at City Hall.
The 27-page report details the calls that were received in 2009 and discusses other Fire Department notables.
The Fire Department in 2009 responded to 2,600 calls for service. This includes 77 fires, 95 rescues, 687 medical call and 1,371 calls for airport standbys.
Of those calls, 2,427 were within the city of Bemidji and 173 were in the rural service area.
The Fire Department covers 522 square miles in the cities of Bemidji, Turtle River and Wilton; and the townships of Bemidji, Fern, Frohn, Durrand, Grant Valley, Helga, Lake Hattie, Liberty, Northern, Port Hope, Turtle Lake, Turtle River, Rockwood and Schoolcraft.
Within the Bemidji city limits, there were 2,427 calls, which included:
- 34 fire calls.
- 725 rescues and emergency medical calls.
- 86 false calls.
- 136 good intent calls (prescribed burns, smoke reports, wrong locations, etc.)
- 33 hazardous conditions calls (carbon monoxide checks, gas and fuel spills, downed power lines, etc.).
- 4 overpressure/ruptures (gas line ruptures, chemical releases, overheating equipment, etc.)
- 6 severe weather and natural calls (natural disasters, windstorms, flood assistance, lightning strikes, etc.).
- 1,399 service calls (airport coverage, assist police, unauthorized burning, etc.).
- 4 special calls.
The rural areas combined for 173 calls, including:
- 6 to Liberty Township (three fires).
- 7 to Turtle Lake Township (three fires).
- 7 to Port Hope Township (three fires).
- 5 to Turtle River Township (no fires).
- 35 to Northern Township (nine fires).
- 17 to Eckles Township (three fires).
- 16 to Grant Valley (nine fires).
- 51 to Bemidji Township (nine fires).
- 8 to Frohn Township (three fires).
- 3 to Helga Township (two fires).
- 1 to Durand Township (no fires).
- 3 to Rockwood Township (two fires).
- 1 to Lake Hattie Township (no fires).
- 2 to the city of Turtle River (no fires).
- 9 calls out of area.
- Schoolcraft Township did not have any calls.
Bylaws will be considered Monday for the South Shore Design Review Committee.
The bylaws will be considered by the Bemidji Economic Development Authority following the regular Bemidji City Council meeting at 7 p.m. Monday at City Halls.
The Design Review Committee will set standards for development within the south shore redevelopment area.