Bemidji City Council: Street renewal project advances
The Bemidji City Council approved a resolution on Monday night to complete a feasibility report for the 2010 street renewal project.
As the 2009 street renewal program nears completion, the city must now consider which streets need improvements for 2010. The feasibility study will outline the improvements needed, project costs, preliminary assessments and the feasibility of the project.
Craig Gray, the city's public works director/city engineer, proposed the following street segments to be included for study within the feasibility report:
- Park Avenue Northwest from state Highway 197 to 30th Street Northwest.
- 23rd Street Northwestfrom Calihan Avenue Northeast to Birchmont DriveNortheast.
- Grant Avenue Southeast from First Street Southeast to Fourth Street Southeast.
- Central Avenue Southeast from First Street Southeast to Second Street Southeast.
- Scott Avenue Southeast from First Street Southeast to Second Street Southeast.
The above streets were selected due to the poor condition of the bituminous surfacing, lack of bituminous surface, poor storm water surface drainage and the age and deterioration of some of the existing underground utility mains.
"We hope this will be an annual street reconstruction program," said Gray.
The city's goal each year is to select upcoming street segments in the fall so a preliminary survey can be acquired prior to snowfall. The winter months are set aside for engineering design, neighborhood information meetings and public hearings.
Gray presented the following statistics on what has been completed in the first year of the annual program:
- 58 homes with new roadway improvements.
- 2,800 lineal feet of new storm sewer installed.
- 24 homes with new water and sanitary sewer services installed.
- 3,200 lineal feet of 70-80 year old water main and sanitary sewer replaced.
- 4,235 lineal feet (.80 miles) of city streets reconstructed.
- 870 lineal feet of sidewalks replaced.
- Total investment in infrastructure and neighborhoods of $949,000.