Beltrami County warns of new scam
Recently local law enforcement authorities have received reports of a telephone scam.
According to a press release from the Beltrami County Sheriff's Office:
- Victims are being targeted by telephone callers who identify themselves members of the Federal Trade Commission.
- The caller leaves a contact number advising the recipient that he or she has won a large sweepstakes drawing in Las Vegas.
- Victims are provided with additional telephone numbers to "confirm" their winnings.
- Suspects request that the victims wire transfer a sum of money, usually in the multiple thousands of dollars, to ensure their "financial eligibility to receive their winnings."
- Banks, Western Union outlets and money gram businesses are aware of the scam and are trying to assist victims by advising caution before wiring money.
Anyone receiving a telephone call of this nature or who suspects they are being scammed in any way should make a report with their local law enforcement agency.
As always, law enforcement warns people to be careful about providing personal information or responding to any unsolicited requests.