Bemidji area emergency response personnel responded to an ammonia leak at 6:45 p.m. Monday at the Nymore Arena, located at 200 Pershing Ave. S.E. in Bemidji.
According to the Bemidji Fire Department, the call for assistance was received after a pipe failed during some maintenance work. A contractor was replacing a compressor used to cool the arena floor when he noticed the leak and was able to exit safely before calling 911.
The Bemidji Police Department and Minnesota State Patrol secured the area. Bemidji Fire Department personnel and the contractor entered the building and were successful in stopping the leak. No injuries were reported. An odor of ammonia was noticed outside of the building; however, levels did not pose any health risks to the general public.
Emergency responders were on scene until 8:49 p.m. Agencies responding were the Bemidji Fire Department, the Bemidji Police Department, the Minnesota State Patrol and the Bemidji Ambulance Service.