8 Minnesota counties declared disaster areas, with more expected
ST. PAUL — More Minnesota counties likely will be added to a presidential flood disaster declaration.
Dayton said he initiated the disaster response process before all county damage totals were available to speed federal money to the state.
So far, the Federal Emergency Management Agency reports $37.1 million in damages from floods that begin on June 11. That is nearly $30 million more than needed for Obama to declare a disaster.The eight counties on the list so far are Chippewa, Freeborn, Jackson, Murray, Nobles, Pipestone, Renville and Rock, mostly southern and western Minnesota rural areas.Federal aid that will follow Obama’s declaration will help local governments pay for flood-related costs such as debris removal, road repairs and fixing other public facilities like parks and water treatment plants.Washington reimburses 75 percent of disaster costs, with the state picking up the rest. Dayton said he may call a special legislative session to fund the state portion, but has not decided about the issue, and does not know when a session might occur.The presidential declaration allows all Minnesota local governments to apply for funds to prevent or reduce future disaster risks to life and property.While it is possible some aid will be made available to individuals and businesses, the Obama declaration only applies to state and local governments.State officials have called the June flooding, which remains a problem in parts of the state, the most widespread disaster the state has experienced. More than half the state’s 87 counties reported damage.